Hoffritz Plating Query

I've had this razor at the back of the cupboard for several years. I've given it a clean in an ultrasonic bath (water only) but it still retains this blue/black stain on the handle. Is this the remains of a previous finish? I've not tried any abrasive cleaner. Any thoughts as to what it might be? I'm assuming the handle is brass or possibly some other alloy.

A2B2102B-8F30-448C-9FC5-3D812C1C9228.JPG

Hoffritz handles were often silver plated (with nickel plated head.) Give it a polish with some Peek (y)
If it's silver-plated (and it looks like silver "patina" in the image) I'd have a go with some silver-polish first.
I believe I had good results with Goddard's. I think.
From the top of my head: Didn't baking-soda and aluminium foil in the ultrasonic do a good job?
I believe so, but better google it to make sure.

Last edited:
If it's silver-plated (and it looks like silver "patina" in the image) I'd have a go with some silver-polish first.
I believe I had good results with Goddard's. I think.
From the top of my head: Didn't baking-soda and aluminium foil in the ultrasonic do a good job?
I believe so, but better google it to make sure.

Yeah Goddard's will probably work fine.

I said Peek as it's what I always use, in fact I cleaned up a silver plated Gillette New improved with it a couple of weeks ago and it came out lovely. I was going to try the old aluminium foil and baking soda trick but was warned against it as boiling water can potentially cause or aggravate cracks in handles.... And yes, these old slant handles crack exactly the same way, here's one I have to prove it :cry:

rrlEVgB.jpg

I was going to try the old aluminium foil and baking soda trick but was warned against it as boiling water can potentially cause or aggravate cracks in handles....
Too right. I never use boiling water for any other purpose than boiling or steaming food.
I have used baking soda, aluminium foil and hot (not boiling) water with good results.
It's a chemical reaction, so in theory, you don't have to use the ultrasonic cleaner either.
I believe it works faster if you do, but I have no evidence.

I wouldn't use an ultrasonic cleaner on a cracked handle or one prone to cracking.
It's a mechanical process and might cause damage in those cases. Also, don't use it on razors with paint on them (numbers).

Be careful of not over-polishing the head and bottom screw as these are made from zinc alloy. If the plating wears through, the razor is toast. Earlier models of the slant variants were indeed nickel plated head and top cap with EPNS (electroplated nickel silver) handle and bottom screw section.

Gave the handle a gentle polish with Goddards and it's now assumed a faint copper hue presumably from it's original coating. I'm not going to subject it to any further treatment as the razor works well and thats the priority. Once again thanks for the comments.

Back
Top Bottom