Hi from Somerset - UK

Hi guys,

Just a post to introduce myself!

Firstly thankyou to Harry G for pointing me in the direction of this site. I'm not sure of his profile name on here but it was after he read my posts on B&B that he suggested that I should join this site - so thankyou - I've been non-stop reading the forum and love it !!

So more about me .... I'm from the Somerset in the UK and am a relative newbie at DE shaving. After years of frustration and spiraling cost, I ended up buying a Bluebeards Revenge Schimitar. I really liked it but decided that having tried a low cost entry razor I would jump in deeper and buy something more lavish - given that I had survived my first attempts. I went ahead and bought a Merkur Futur - mostly because it looked so cool but also because I liked the look of the gold version. It was nice .... but I should have read up about the relative aggressiveness before buying!

After that, I decided to try and find something that was a little more forgiving. I made a post on B&B asking for suggestions. Several people said to try vintage, others all pointed me in the direction of the Merkur Progress.

I ended up buying the Progress, but as hard as I tried to find a gold one, I couldn't. In the end I bought the chrome version and stripped and re-plated it in 24 karat gold myself. I was really pleased with how it turned out:

4627736745_328x248.jpg
4627736744_328x248.jpg

I have to say the Progress gave me fab shaves and I was really happy, but I thought maybe I could combine my love of restoration and plating and buy some vintage razors to restore. That way I could get some new razors and try some vintage models too!

I really struggled finding good priced razors in the UK - there just didn't seem to be as many as there were in the USA on Ebay. So in the end, I elected to buy a bunch of razors from one place in the USA so I could save on shipping costs.

I bought:
  • 1940 Milord Tech
  • Gillette Fat Handle Tech
  • Gillette Fat Handle Tech - Black Handle and Gold
  • Gillette Ball End Tech - Gold
  • Gillette X3 40's Style Super Speed
  • Gillette B4 Ball End Tech - Nickel
The razors needed TLC which was perfect for me. Most had lost plating and a few had really suffered over the years.

I've been restoring them and posting step-by-step photo updates - which is where Harry first saw my posts and PM'd me.

The level of restoration is pretty detailed - not just plating, but restoring damage from dents on handles, scratches, etc. I've managed to remove dents without any trace of the original damage and am so happy with my new razors! I probably have been putting a lot more effort into the restorations than a commercial setup would - where it's usually accepted that dents etc are cleaned, polished and plated and that there are some things that are just permanent marks from history. I just don't like leaving something damaged if it's humanly possible to fix! Also, I tend to plate multiple layers of materials - starting from copper to nickel to thick gold - to ensure that the surfaces are uniform and thick - ensuring they outlast me !

Anyway .... here's a few pics of my latest restorations:

Gillette Tech - USA - Fat Handle (Gold)

Before:

4627747772_250x447.png

After:

4627747766_373x281.jpg

4627747765_317x237.jpg

Gillette Black Fat Handle Tech

This one had lost pretty much all of it's plating and just had some spots of the original black on the handle and gold on the base plate:

Before:

4627736541_360x271.jpg

I decided to re-plate this one in 24 karat gold, and to try and get the feel of the black handle by plating black nickel over a gold base layer:

After:

4627736554_591x445.jpg

4627736555_357x268.jpg

4627736556_357x268.jpg

I've also restored the Gold Ball End Tech but don't want to fill the whole forum with pics !

Needless to say I think I may have an addiction forming for shaving and bringing old razors back from the dead!

I'm hoping to be able to restore lots more razors and hopefully will have a couple of razors to restore for Harry - I honestly can't wait as they look like they will be perfect from the photos I've seen!

Anyway, thanks to Harry for pointing me in the direction of the site and can't wait to be reading more in the future !!

Best wishes,

Jay :)

Welcome. Nice restorations.
After reading about restorations and seeing the before and after pictures it is something I want to try.
Just need a ultrasonic cleaner and nice razor to try in on.
Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks guys here's a couple of pics of the ball end tech that I restored last week ....

Here's the before .... It doesn't show up that well on the pic, but the plating on the head is pretty bad. The second pic shows it after a little clean down.

4627747730_312x231.jpg

4627747741_310x232.jpg

Then a lot of surface restoration ....

4627747717_312x235.jpg

Now after the nickel and 24 karat gold plate....

4627747744_602x456.jpg

The surface is back to it's original beautiful finish...

4627747747_310x233.jpg

I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

Cheers,

Wow! Nice work!

Were you completely new to working with metal before these or do you have some (directly or indirectly) relevant experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Halvor,

Thanks !

I have been used to working with metal quite a bit .... I've done a fair amount of metalwork and finishing - building full sized aircraft as a previous hobby. But this is a lot more small scale ! I also love plating so it's everything wrapped into one !

Cheers,

I'm currently working on another gold fat handle tech, a superspeed in nickel and a 1940 Milord. I want to give my Dad a razor at the weekend so it's either going to be the fat handle tech (I love shaving with my other one) or the Milord I think. I'm thinking about possibly plating the Nickel Superspeed in Rhodium as a final finish to make it really "Bling!".

Guess what everyone is getting for birthday presents lately LOL.

Back
Top Bottom