Hey everyone

D

Deleted member 11356

Hey everyone,

I've been shaving my whole head for over two years now. I started with an electric shaver but then I wanted an actual smooth shave instead of head stubble. So maybe a bit under two years ago I started using my Gillette cartridges to shave my head.

Anyway for three main reasons I've been getting interested in more traditional shaving methods: environmental reasons, cost reasons, and
quality of the shave.

1) Environmental reasons

I was kind of horrified with the amount of plastic that gets thrown away with cartidge razors. I kept thinking there must be a better way.

2) Cost

I came to realise that the whole industry of cartridge razors is a racket that locks you into the company's product and they basically rip off forever after.

3) Quality of shave

I keep getting patches of redness at the top of my neck where it joins onto the back of my head, and also a little band along the back of my crown. I've tried to improve my technique but the redness seems to be persisting.

I was hoping that older-fashioned shaving methods like a safety razor or straight razor may get the smooth head shave that I like in fewer passes and therefore irritate my skin less (at the cost, perhaps, of more nicks and cuts). I also want to throw away less stuff in the process and save money in the long run.

Hey everyone,

I've been shaving my whole head for over two years now. I started with an electric shaver but then I wanted an actual smooth shave instead of head stubble. So maybe a bit under two years ago I started using my Gillette cartridges to shave my head.

Anyway for three main reasons I've been getting interested in more traditional shaving methods: environmental reasons, cost reasons, and
quality of the shave.

1) Environmental reasons

I was kind of horrified with the amount of plastic that gets thrown away with cartidge razors. I kept thinking there must be a better way.

2) Cost

I came to realise that the whole industry of cartridge razors is a racket that locks you into the company's product and they basically rip off forever after.

3) Quality of shave

I keep getting patches of redness at the top of my neck where it joins onto the back of my head, and also a little band along the back of my crown. I've tried to improve my technique but the redness seems to be persisting.

I was hoping that older-fashioned shaving methods like a safety razor or straight razor may get the smooth head shave that I like in fewer passes and therefore irritate my skin less (at the cost, perhaps, of more nicks and cuts). I also want to throw away less stuff in the process and save money in the long run.
You'll find plenty of shaving discourse in here...we docile bodies consider enabling as a perfect example of capillary-like power. Welcome!

Welcome. I gave a friend a vintage Gillette razor and a boar brush a few years ago and he's still using those, along with Astra blades he's bought in bulk and cheap shaving cream from a high street pharmacy chain. He seems to get good results from this combination and says he hasn't bought any other shaving items, so it is possible to save money by going over to traditional shaving. Possible, but not usually the case.

Back
Top Bottom