Help with video transfer

More help needed guys! I have some video clips on my hard drive video camera that I've transferred to my PC. When I view them using the camera itself the clips have sound. When I view the clips on the PC using Windows Media Player the video is there but the sound isn't. I have transferred vids many times before but never had this problem. Any ideas? :? :?: :?

Edit: Is it possible I've accidentally deleted an audio driver (?) from my PC recently? I did have a blitaz on programmes I thought I didn't need any more! :eek:

1. Turn it off and on again.
2. Turn your volume control up.
3. Plug your speakers in.
4. Make sure your PC sound isn't muted.

After that, I'd reckon it was down to codecs, which are little pieces of black magic that you need to load into Windows Media Player and its ilk to make videos play properly. If you don't have the right codec loaded up, your videos either won't play, or they won't play properly. Try loading up DivX or RealPlayer or even the dreaded QuickTime and see if your fillums play through one of those.

Yes you might have deleted something during your "blitaz" [sic] recently. I doubt it would be an audio driver, else you wouldn't be getting any sound at all off your pooter. Er... are you getting any sound at all off your pooter?

BTW, I don't normally say "pooter". I don't know why I'm saying it now. I'm not drunk.

Thanks Cheesey, I have checked and the problem appears to be with files ending in '.MOD'. I get audio from other files and the internet etc. so I know there's nothing wrong with the speakers. How do I obtain new codecs?

First of all, I'd make sure WinMP is set up to download codecs automatically. Open it up, click "Now Playing", then choose "More Options". Click on the "Player" tab and then make sure the "Download codecs automatically" box is ticked.

I'm typing this fast before the Mac army get on with their "oh you wouldn't have this trouble with a Mac" drone. They're like the damn Borg. Mind you they're probably all wetting emselves over the new iPad which sounds to me like something you'd soak up a puddle with.

Two things now - first, check to see if there's an option on your video camera to download the files as WMV or MPEG or AVI, that might be easier. Otherwise, do a search on ".MOD codec" on the interweb and see if you can find something.

Apparently you need the mpeg2 codec to play .MOD files. Wizardry I tell ya.

iPad... sounds like something for removing mascara? Bah, they'll all buy em anyway. It's an anagram of "paid" haha.

If all that doesn't work get a Mac....only kidding. It probably will, you might like to try a different player though.

It's freeware and downloadable from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vlcmediaplayer.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vlcmediaplayer.org/</a><!-- m -->

I would love a Mac!! Can't afford one just yet though. :cry: Thanks for the advice chaps. Can't seem to download the correct codec. I'm going with Tony's idea of a new video player. This really is very strange...

Back
Top Bottom