Help with lathering Chubby 3

I bought myself a Chubby 3 (in Best) as I wanted a brush that would give me loads of lather for 3 passes without having to go back to the puck. However, even if I load heavily, I only get one really good lather on the face, the 2nd and 3rd passes are thinner and thinner again.
I guess I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what.
My procedure is:
Soak brush for 15 minutes
Shake out brush and squeeze knot from base
Load for 1 minute (Razorock Dead Sea, sort of a croap)
Lather on wet face for one or two minutes, dipping brush tips gently in water if lather is too thick/pasty
Loads of lather on the first pass
Next pass, not much lather left on the brush, so only a thin layer of soap is available
When I try to get lather out of the knot, there is very little there.

Any help gratefully received.

A little, mostly just circular movements, though. I will try what you suggest. I think the brush has a narrow tolerance band for water, because when I have soaked it, then shaken it out, the inside of the brush contains very watery lather.

I've noticed, using the Maseto 2-band finest (granted, not a chubby), that dipping the tip (ha!) results in a minute amount of soap being lost... if you use your hand and essentially 'dribble' some water onto the brush it'll retain a bit more soapiness. Probably doesn't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but seems to work for me!

Also agree with the above, go nuts on the soap, why not!

On a more serious note - try face lathering. You're going to load soap much easier on your whiskers rather than the brush. Saves time as well.

How long have you had the Chubby? I struggled with my Chubby 2 at first with the same symptoms as you and after a few uses it just came good. I'm not sure whether I got the hang of it or the brush broke in, but it sorted out.

How long have you had the Chubby? I struggled with my Chubby 2 at first with the same symptoms as you and after a few uses it just came good. I'm not sure whether I got the hang of it or the brush broke in, but it sorted out.
I've only had it for a couple of weeks, used it maybe 4 or 5 times. I thought a minute loading of a soap was long enough, but obviously I need to load a lot more. I had very heard from other people about the Chubby's needing to break in, so am hoping that is the case. I've been disappointed because I had these visions of endless lather that have just not come to pass so far. I'll give the bugger a huge loading tomorrow and see how I get on ☺️

Brushes really hold soap (as well as water) rather than lather and it's that which allows you to generate lather in a bowl or on the face. Tbh I found my CH3 Super to be a bit silly, yes it can generate a lot of lather but you also need copious amounts of product as it is so incredibly dense and large. If you're going to persist I'd use it with creams as I find it difficult to believe you'd be able to scrub off and load the brush with enough soap for the brush to be truly effective.

Last edited:
Brushes really hold soap rather than lather and it's that which allows you to generate lather in a bowl or on the face. Tbh I found my CH3 Super to be a bit silly, yes it can generate a lot of lather but you also need copious amounts of product as it is so incredibly dense and large. If you're going to persist I'd use it with creams as I find it difficult to believe you'd be able to scrub off and load the brush with enough soap for the brush to be truly effective.

In other words it's one of those brushes that people buy for its exclusivity and ostentation rather than for its lathering ability?

In other words it's one of those brushes that people buy for its exclusivity and ostentation rather than for its lathering ability?
Certainly not the case here. I bought it based on the perception that I could get tons of luxurious lather out of it. Nothing to do with exclusivity and certainly not ostentation.

Certainly not the case here. I bought it based on the perception that I could get tons of luxurious lather out of it. Nothing to do with exclusivity and certainly not ostentation.
Loads of luxurious lather from loads of luxurious product from the sound of it. I've not got a massive collection of brushes but I don't think I've ever loaded any of them for a minute and I'm usually fine for two or three passes. The other Chubby owners will probably know better but it sounds like too much water to me.

Back
Top Bottom