Help me to love a Straight Edge...

I have been using a Dovo Shavette for the last 6-8 years, and 6 months ago (after a couple of delayed attempts), I decided to hang up my shavette and buy myself a Dovo Carpe Diem.
Anticipation was high, and when my pre-sharpened (in addition to 'factory sharpened') arrived, I was excited to try it.
I was bitterly disappointed. I tried the hanging hair test, and it would not cut. I tried to shave the hairs on my arm - again, it failed. I thought that perhaps the edge had not been honed before I received it, so sent it back, unused, to be re-honed.

Once it had arrived back, I was again disappointed. The blade tugged and scratched over my face. It was perhaps slightly sharper - but was still like comparing a Bic disposable against a Gillette Mach 3.The blade was no way near as sharp as my shavette.
I contacted the seller, who explained that I was perhaps using it wrong, or had blunted it whilst stropping. (I had practiced stropping on an old straight edge that I have had for a number of years).
So I again sent it off to be re-sharpened.

On receiving the blade back, the shave was marginally better, but worlds apart from the clean shave of the Shavette
I was contacted by the seller to inform me that there were some small chips in the blade, probably caused by bad stropping, which he ground out.

I have now spent over £200 on this blade, and the sharpening, and still it under performs my expectations.
Having read many forums and spending a number of years preparing for the purchase of a SE, I had expected greatness. The stories and the comments about how amazing an SE is, and the slight snobbery against shavettes made me feel that purchasing an SE would be the next step.
However, I am now wondering if the whole straight edge glorification is misplaced and in fact a shavette does give the better shave, albeit without the pomp & ceremony of a straight edge (I just want a good shave - I'm not bothered about bragging rights!).

Or perhaps I am doing something wrong?
I really want to love using my SE. I force myself to use it, in the hope that I will get used to it, or that my shaving method may improve and suddenly it works fine. However, I have tried all sorts of angles, shave soaps, different prep routines....but I always feel rather let down.

So my questions are:

1) Am I expecting too much from a straight-edge?
2) Have I purchased a poor razor?
3) Does sharpening vary from place to place? (Should I try a different place to sharpen my blade)
4) Do I need to spend more than £150 to get a decent razor that gives a good cut?
5) Have my years of using a shavette spoilt me and made me require a sharper blade than the SE I have?

Attachments

• 1556442866430.png
    1556442866430.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 20
1) Am I expecting too much from a straight-edge?
No.
But the learning curve can be a little tricky and isn't obvious.
I shave in two passes with a straight. It takes 3-4 passes with a DE to achieve the same result. I have very sensitive and troublesome skin and a tough beard.

2) Have I purchased a poor razor?
With some reservations, Dovos are excellent razors - once you get them tuned in.

I have a number and they all shave brilliantly but some took a lot of work to get them there.

Dovos have a reputation for some poor geometry from the factory. I have fallen victim of this. Your honing service should have corrected all that though if they were any good.

Personally I don't think Dovos are a great option for a first straight for various reasons - although others may disagree with me.
Happy to go into detail but maybe not in this reply.
My recommendation would be to go for a good condition vintage- preferably Sheffield- from a respected vendor, or from a honer active on the forums.

3) Does sharpening vary from place to place? (Should I try a different place to sharpen my blade)

Sharpening does differ. I gave up straights for a while. A family member sharpened my razors when I was younger and I was very underwhelmed by all of the commercial honers I tried when I came back to straights.
Now that I hone my own razors I understand why I mostly don't like other people's work. It's actually quite a personal thing, an edge on a razor.

Most places I tried only take the razor to a grit rating of around 12k. I am happy shaving off an edge anywhere between 8k - 30k+ if it has been honed right and with an appropriate finisher.

For someone starting out - especially if you are used to shavettes- I would go for the sharper end of the scale. Your razor will probably need to see some pastes to get it where you would expect.

4) Do I need to spend more than £150 to get a decent razor that gives a good cut?
No.
You don't need to spend anywhere near that.
5) Have my years of using a shavette spoilt me and made me require a sharper blade than the SE I have?
This is a double edged question.
The edge of a shavette does behave differently, because the blades are made from stainless steel and are coated with PTFE and hardener. They therefore behave and cut differently.
You need to adjust for friction and the way that a straight cuts is subtly different.
The Dovo Solingen blades can be sharpened very keenly but not as well as a custom blade or a good quality stainless. As I understand it, the Dovo blanks are good quality high carbon steel but Dovo only have one hardening cycle in their process.
If you want a blade that feels close to a shavette I find that a Böker stainless steel blade straight razor sharpened on a synthetic progression and then finished on pastes gives a close approximation. But you also need to adjust your lather because the blade will not have the additional lubricant baked onto it like a shavette.

Most commercial honers will use synths-. You would need to invest in a pastes system - preferably on flat strops.

That's my answer to your questions.
More practical advice would be.

1. Get another cheaper razor and start with that. Options are:
  • A vintage - preferably Sheffield - I can DM a vendor I would recommend. Should be considerably less than £100 depending on the model.
  • Boker stainless - they are less than your Dovo. Cheap looking but a great shave.
  • A custom razor from @EdBrice - I don't know his current prices, but his plain razors used to be not much more than Dovos but 10x better.
2. Wait and then get the Dovo re-honed by a reputable forum member.

When you have a truly shave ready razor:

3. Review your prep and lather. All shaving elements are more interdependent with straight razors. You should experiment by adding more water into the lather - this compensates for the lack of bonded lubricant on the blade.
4. Experiment more with skin stretching and angles. With a shavette you can get away with less precise angles. This would suggest that the shavette is better but in fact, with the right angle the straight will cut more efficiently resulting in slower grow back.
5. Work on your stropping. If you can source a razor from a truly shave ready, pre-stropped seller, do not strop the razor the first time. It's really easy to roll an edge with poor stropping. You should note the degradation of the edge after this shave and question your stropping.
Practise your stropping on your leg with a butter knife to get a feel for the torquing action and the turn. I would also recommend a paddle strop for starting out.

Hope some of this helps.

That's really helpful and encouraging. Thanks!
I would be interested in buying a cheaper vintage blade, so if you could refer me - that would be fantastic.
Also, I will look to get my Dovo blade sharpened by someone else, and not from where I purchased it, to see if that makes any difference.
Do you have any recommendations?

That's really helpful and encouraging. Thanks!
I would be interested in buying a cheaper vintage blade, so if you could refer me - that would be fantastic.
Also, I will look to get my Dovo blade sharpened by someone else, and not from where I purchased it, to see if that makes any difference.
Do you have any recommendations?
I would like to jump in if I may. I would highly recommend @Fergiebilly to hone your Dovo for you. He is highly regarded on this forum and will certainly return your razor "Shave ready." ;)

Hope this helps.

There are two members that have a good reputations on various forums. I have not tried either so cannot recommend from personal experience but what I will say is that the information and advice they both variously give indicates a level of practical skill and knowledge that would indicate genuine mastery. (i.e. It's not just theoretical BS).
They are:
@pugh-the-special-one @Fergiebilly

I will DM you the Ebay vendor

There are two members that have a good reputations on various forums. I have not tried either so cannot recommend from personal experience but what I will say is that the information and advice they both variously give indicates a level of practical skill and knowledge that would indicate genuine mastery. (i.e. It's not just theoretical BS).
They are:
@pugh-the-special-one @Fergiebilly

I will DM you the Ebay vendor
You are correct. I have used Fergiebilly on several occasions and have had amazing results every time. I also understand that pugh-the-special-one is top class but I have not had the pleasure of using him but will be doing so shortly. At the end of the day you are spoilt for choice and you will not go far wrong with either of them.

Last edited:
Dovo Razors Need Honed...They are Not Honed from the Factory....Sounds as If it Needs Honed Properly....You Can Send it to Me & I Can Test Shave it for Free & Send it Back for Postage Fee...If it Needs Honed I Can Do that as Well...I Will Put a Superb Edge on it...PM Me... :cool:

Billy
Thanks Billy

I will DM you

I couldn't possibly comment on your Dovo as all my straights are vintage and i've never shaved with a modern straight, however as a recommendation for a vintage i'd see if you can pick up a Kropp, Sheffield made, there are usually plenty of them on ebay and you should be able to get a 5/8th blade for around £20-30, not likely to be honed though. In my experience they take amazing edges.

And also i'd second using a paddle strop over a hanging strop, much less likely to damage the edge.

I couldn't possibly comment on your Dovo as all my straights are vintage and i've never shaved with a modern straight, however as a recommendation for a vintage i'd see if you can pick up a Kropp, Sheffield made, there are usually plenty of them on ebay and you should be able to get a 5/8th blade for around £20-30, not likely to be honed though. In my experience they take amazing edges.

And also i'd second using a paddle strop over a hanging strop, much less likely to damage the edge.

Thanks - I have a vintage Sheffield blade on order now. Also, I will invest in a paddle strop, as I fear that I am damaging my blade on my hanging strop

I just glued a hanging strop onto a piece of wood, i put a layer of rubber between the wood and strop...it was from the pound shop, a roll of anti slip stuff...loads of it for £1

I just glued a hanging strop onto a piece of wood, i put a layer of rubber between the wood and strop...it was from the pound shop, a roll of anti slip stuff...loads of it for £1

I fear that I may have to bin my strop. Unless its possible to sand it down. There are a few nicks & cuts in it, that may be damaging my blade

I probablly would better to start from scratch with a new one...get one for around a tenner and glue it down...keep the old one tho and maybe salvage it into a smaller strop for paste?

I fear that I may have to bin my strop. Unless its possible to sand it down. There are a few nicks & cuts in it, that may be damaging my blade
As a suggestion, if you do decide to buy a new hanging strop go for a 3 inch one. You have a far greater chance of not nicking it when your strop is wide enough for the entire blade. They are easier to use while improving your technique and you have less chance of dulling your blade.

I would also personally look for a 3 inch paddle strop.

Back
Top Bottom