Hello from Manchester

Well, South Manchester really, near Altrincham

I have been DE shaving regularly for about 5 years or so, after a lifetime of electric and cartridge shaving, with some limited fumblings with DE's about 40 years back when i started shaving.

My regular DE is a Merkur 20c with Astra SP blades, which works well for me. I have a few others i have acquired, but keep coming back to this combo. I do still keep and use a Gillette Fusion on occasion.

Mike

Welcome. It's always worth keeping the Gillette fusion if you travel by air with hand luggage only. They don't seem to like you travelling with DE blades. Probably scared we might give the pilot a decent shave.

Last edited:
Welcome. It's always worth keeping the Gillette fusion if you travel by air with hand luggage only. They don't seem to like you travelling with DE blades. Probably scared with might give the pilot a decent shave.
Hi All,

The Fusion is handy for a quick shower shave if time is tight, or travel as you say, but it feels really weird when you have been DE shaving for a while - The Fusion shave feels initially like a close, smooth shave, but then you run your hand over your face and there is micro-micro-stubble.

Also it all starts to grow back in just a few hours, whereas its nearly 12 hours before i feel anything coming back after a 3-pass DE shave.

The Fusion wobbly-head is also usefull for finishing off the difficult spots after a DE shave.

Nothing beats the zen like experience of a slow and careful DE shave.

Cheers all

I think i recognise your initials pjgh from somewhere online to do with detailing .... You have (had ?) a very shiny SAAB i think ??

Yep! That's me (busted). There's a few other names kicking about here that you might recognise, but it's probably been a decade since I was into car detailing. In fact (quick google), I found an introduction from a 'Zorro' on my old detailing haunt and it was 2010.

I like shiny razors now. My first DE was a Merkur 23C (again, long handle).

Not the same Zorro - i just picked a blade related handle for this forum !!

I don't have the time or energy for intensive detailing these days - i am not getting any younger or any more flexible !! - also, i have fallen a little in love with the marvellous synthetic spray coating that are cheap, quick and durable nowadays. Its more a case now of having a cleaner-than-average car rather than detailed completely.

I have fallen for the visual appeal of razors, as much as their performance and the 20c is very nice with the knurled spiral grip on the black finished handle - not the easiest to keep clean, but handles and looks great. The Merkur standard head is just smooth and probably a bit safe, but it works for me.

My next spend is to be an adjustable of some sort and i am looking at the many inter-web discussions of the Merkur Progress v the Parker Varient

Yes the Progress still seems to get a lot of love - The Parker Variant sounds well regarded as a modern take on the Progress head, but people with both seem to lean slightly towards the Progress still.

I started DE shaving to try to cure the under-neck irritation from cartridge / electric and got a EJ89, which worked wonderfully for this and i thought "well all i will need going forward is blades and soap" ... LOL .. little did i know the addiction that then ensues ...

Back
Top Bottom