Head Shave

Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.
I shave my head on a regular basis about 2 / 3 times a week. I have recently converted back to DE after cartridge. Using a cartridge razor for head shaving is a nightmare as the blades get clogged every stroke requiring a nail brush to remove debris from blades. However using a DE is a dream no clogging.
But the main reason for posting here is to share my experience of 'bad blades'
Blades which have given poor / medium performance on my face have proved ok to use on my head give totally different result (probably due to hair being no where near as tough).

So if like me you shave your head and have ended up with blades you would have otherwise have binned, give em a try on your head even if you bin em after one shave, might save yourself a few quid ;)

WARNING shaving your head with a DE is not for the faint hearted a few slices and nick on first couple of tries, but now i get perfect results no cuts / nicks

I tend to shave my head about every 3-5 days - coincidentally when I need to change blades for face shaving - a dull blade for the face is more than adequate for shaving the bonce in my experience and (metaphorically) binning the blade at the end of the head shave means I don't accidentally use it on my face afterwards.

Been shaving my head for 20 years and have never had a good head-shave with a DE . . . and I've tried, lots. From the mild Blue Tip Super Speed to the Sledgehammer Slant and with all blades from Merkur to Feather. I've also shaved my head with a Shavette, a Feather Artist Club and a Wapienica straight razor with the same kind of result.

The very best razor for shving the head is the Mach3. I have never had a problem with a Mach3 clogging as the blades are well spaced and open at the back.

Forget the brush and expensive soap too. The hair on the head is finer than on the face so doesn't need softening like the beard so just wet the head, whack on any old brightly-coloured gel and whip it all off again along with the hair.

i must say clogging is mainly caused by being lazy on occasions and leaving my hair to grow for to long. It occurs when i have to clipper my hair first. I have very coarse curly hair almost like an affro if i let the bugger grow. I use to use a mach 3 for my head but find it takes 1/2 time with DE. Ironic really some guys spend £££ getting rid of hair and others panic as it starts it recedes . Who said life was fair :lol:

mecheng said:
i must say clogging is mainly caused by being lazy on occasions and leaving my hair to grow for to long. It occurs when i have to clipper my hair first. I have very coarse curly hair almost like an affro if i let the bugger grow. I use to use a mach 3 for my head but find it takes 1/2 time with DE. Ironic really some guys spend £££ getting rid of hair and others panic as it starts it recedes . Who said life was fair :lol:

Well I didn't panic as it receded, I saw my Dad and new what was coming! But it is unfair that I don't have a choice in the matter!
Bugger....then again I don't have to shave my bonce and it takes me 30 seconds to sort my hair out in the am :lol:

A mild open-comb seems to work really well for head shaving. An open comb can tackle any length of hair. Very versatile. I've only been DE shaving for about a month but right from the get-go I could manage a head shave with my Merkur 985C (same head as the 15C). I don't even need to use a mirror now.

So far I've found that mild razors seem to like sharp blades. A less-sharp Derby extra was too tuggy on my face so it got binned quickly. It probably would work a lot better on finer head hair though.

I guess there's an equation we all have to figure out:

razor type + blade sharpness + hair type + skin sensitivity + touch = good shave

The same Derby blade that was too tuggy in a mild DE razor worked quite well in my shavette (face-shaving). In fact, I think the slight resistance was giving me important feedback. With an ultra-sharp Bic, feedback with a shavette would probably be measured in blood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom