Got a grinder - well, sort of!

MJI

Hi everyone,

Been using the aeropress for a while now following my last thread and I'm loving the brews I get.

To enhance it a bit more I bought a porlex tall hand grinder the other day and some whole El Salvador Beans from Bella Barrista.

Freshly ground makes a lovely difference!

Thinking I need to try a few more beans to start appreciating the differences more. Any suggestions?

Also, where's the best place to store the whole beans? Fridge? Room temp. In the bag with the valve or air tight?

Still trying to stop clicking the at the basket button on a Gaggia Classic though! :icon_lol:

I just store the beans in the bag they came in, squeezing out the air through the non-return valve.

BTW do you use the "inversion method" with the Aeropress? (brewing upside down then turning right way up after a few minutes to press)

Cool, thanks.

Yeah I've been using it inverted. Didn't like the drips before it had even brewed.

The app is quite cool - have you seen it?

Try pressing your aeropress through after 30 seconds: as it's a fine (as opposed to coarse) grind it doesn't need to stand as long as a few minutes.

Storage - never the fridge, it dries them out. If wholebean then keep them out of the air and they'll be fine.

I also bought a new coffee grinder recently, a little more ambitious than the Op though !!!. Shown below my humble espresso setup, I also have the usual V60, Moka Pot French Press and a Kalita Wave for brewed coffee, aeropress has always seemed a little too much faff my dodgy clumsy hands.

PS Mike anytime you fancy a coffee and your passing through Lyons Lane/ Eaves Lane part of Chorley you're always welcome.

SAM_0124 by charliejeal, on Flickr

HI Phil, yes it's the Sage/Breville BES920 Dual Boiler machine and it's very good, I had it for review purposes and ended up buying it, very easy and forgiving machine, making beautiful silky textured milk is a breeze with it and not had a sink shot yet from it.

Charliej said:
HI Phil, yes it's the Sage/Breville BES920 Dual Boiler machine and it's very good, I had it for review purposes and ended up buying it, very easy and forgiving machine, making beautiful silky textured milk is a breeze with it and not had a sink shot yet from it.
Great stuff, Charlie. The fit and finish looks a step up from most older machines which have build quality on a level with a hamster cage, too. I've long thought DBs were the future, though haven't owned one yet. Your point about lack of sink shots is a definite advantage when you are using expensive beans. Reminds me of how much less coffee I wasted after fitting a controller on my old Silvia. Anyway what with the Eureka beast, it looks like you have a upgraditus-free setup there!

Back
Top Bottom