Glycerin

i bought some glycerin with the intention of doing this but never got round to trying it, looked as if it might gum up the old brush.
better bet would be to superlather as normal

Tried it (with lab grade glycerin). Pretty much useless. Doesn't provide additional slip, doesn't provide additional lather. Just don't bother. Glycerin has some skin treating properties, but only if you leave the soap on you skin long enough that it actually can do some good... If you really want to boost the slipperiness of your lather, you'd better start adding a couple of drops of dimethicone...

Henk

I do it. MWF, a dash of glycerin and a swirl or squirt of whatever cream (TOBS lime, Palmolive or Ingrams). I think it helps the lather to retain water. I sometimes add a drop of liquid lanolin as well, but the smell usually puts me off.

henkverhaar said:
Tried it (with lab grade glycerin). Pretty much useless. Doesn't provide additional slip, doesn't provide additional lather. Just don't bother. Glycerin has some skin treating properties, but only if you leave the soap on you skin long enough that it actually can do some good... If you really want to boost the slipperiness of your lather, you'd better start adding a couple of drops of dimethicone...

Henk

Henk, is Dimethicone a completely safe ingredient, even for sensitive skins? I don't know much about it but I have 1 shaving oil yet to try which mainly consists of Dimethicone and a tiny amount of jojoba oil. I will try adding a few drops of this to my cream tonight.

sonny said:
Henk, is Dimethicone a completely safe ingredient, even for sensitive skins? I don't know much about it but I have 1 shaving oil yet to try which mainly consists of Dimethicone and a tiny amount of jojoba oil. I will try adding a few drops of this to my cream tonight.

Yes. Completely. Non-toxic and non-allergenic. Dimethicone is a low molecular weight silicone polymer oil, and can be found in numerous consumer products. It is even food safe.

Henk

Thank you. I have a number of creams that include it as a major ingredient. From Shaving oil to Mammio Mio's Pregnant Women's Super Rich Body Cream and so on. Mamio Mio did quite a bit of marketing of their stuff in the states. They have tons of natural oils such as avocado, olive etc. in their body cream, but these are all at the end of the ingredients list, whereas dimrthicone is in the first few. I gues this equates literally to a few drops of the natural stuff'.

After using the pre-shave oil containing the dimethicone, I will go to almond/olive and other natural oils becuase as I understand it, some of these have other properties such as cleansing etc.

Back
Top Bottom