Glossary of shaving terminology

Shaving forums seem to have developed a language of their own. As a newcomer I have to pause to understand what the term or abbreviations mean. Can anyone provide a link to a glossary of the most common shave-speak used around this and other shaving forums. Or perhaps someone here could have a have a go at creating one. Or perhaps I have missed it here anyway.

Eg BBS =Baby's bottom shave?

ye we decided that we shouldn't use acronyms as it becomes confusing and somewhat exclusive in my opinion.They do slip in occasionally for which we apologise. BBS means 'baby bottom smooth' ;)

I too am trying to unlearn some of the acronyms. Occasionally use SWMBO though I think that is not actually shaving-related. I reckon that the only ones worth keeping in regular use should be WTG, XTG and ATG but I rarely use these terms myself (being a 'bit of everything' guy) so it's up to others to decide about that. :D

Well at least I know what BBS means. Things things do creep in. If I come across terms here I don't understand I will just ask. Things that some people think are obvious are lost on some of us.

I never understood the whole 'BBS' fixation, actually I think it's a load of crap. A close, comfortable shave with no blood or irritation is all I want.

I don't want a face like a baby's arse. And if babies had to shave their backsides I doubt they would be smooth. The last time I got anywhere approaching a 'BBS' shave, I was 14 years old (Gillete lemon foamy and an orange BIC disposable IIRC).

I'm a 39 year old bloke, and bristles grow out of my face! WHen someone says 'Hey Guys, I achieved BBS today, am I cool or what?', I just don't see the point, and they mustn't have much of a beard to begin with IMHO.

End of tantrum ;) Now where did I put my Daily Mail?

Of course YMMV

Pig Cat said:
I too am trying to unlearn some of the acronyms. Occasionally use SWMBO though I think that is not actually shaving-related. I reckon that the only ones worth keeping in regular use should be WTG, XTG and ATG but I rarely use these terms myself (being a 'bit of everything' guy) so it's up to others to decide about that. :D

WTG is an acceptable acronym, but why use SWMBO when you have 'the missus' and ''er indoors'? :D

philamac said:
Pig Cat said:

WTG is an acceptable acronym, but why use SWMBO when you have 'the missus' and ''er indoors'? :D

I quite like SWMBO although it is tainted by prodigious use on B&B somewhat. It makes me think of Rumpole of the Bailey who often referered to his wife that way. Just as British (English?) as your suggestions. The fact is that I don't use those terms when I speak, and 'my wife' sounds a bit boring. I'm certainly not going to name her as she would be horrified!! Anwyay that's why I use SWMBO and I will continue to do so until I can think of anything better! :x

Use them if you want to, ask if you are not sure of their meaning when they turn up.

I will be using them when they are convenient especially ATG, WTG, XTG.

See here Fido

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108</a><!-- l -->

I personally would have preferred a UK slant on their definitions, but if you are frequenting
the U.S boards they will ineverably pop out.

I don't mind either way as I can generally work out the meaning from the context but I can understand excessive use can make it seem like a cult and frustrate others new to the forum.

The one I do hate is a long ramble on why one product is the bees knees followed by YMMV. This means that they love it but fear that someone will sue them for recommending a product that someone else bought based solely on that advice and found they did not like as much as the person who recommended it. I thought YMMV was implicit on the entire internet and especially on any forums, by all means take advice but do form your own opinion.

philamac said:
Pig Cat said:

I don't know what any of these acroyms are. Sorry, I lead a sheltered life!

Back
Top Bottom