Gillette Tech info required...

Baz

Hello chaps - Apparently these are great DE razors. Just found this ball-ended Gillette Tech complete with original case from the bay of fleas and awaiting delivery. Apparently this one is made in France. Looks to be in good condition so I took a chance. UK Seller responded quickly to queries re condition, but wasn't an expert on shaving gear (mainly selling collectibles from France) thought he did confirm that it's mechanically sound.

So, does anyone have any idea of a possible date? Case looks to me like it could be '60s? Do these have a date letter? And what's the best way to clean it ready for use?

Any info appreciated...

...PLUS a big thanks to neocaligatio for his excellent review of Gillette Techs, without which I wouldn't have had a clue.

GilletteTech.jpg

Many thanks hunnymonster! Managed to find some info - it's a Gilette Tech #24. Found a German price list dated 1953 and an Australian one dated 1958, so earlier than I thought. Seller says made in France, but no pictures of any stampings, so we'll see if there's any markings or date letters when I receive it (hopefully soon). Hope it's in as good a nick as the photo...

Thanks for the comments Baz!

The techs are great little razors - My ball-end tech is an aluminium-handled one, but I think they also made a heavier, plated handle too.

I'm very interested to see what you think of it, as I tend to recommend techs quite a lot and it's good to get feedback from first-time users. I've recently acquired a gold, fat handled tech that was made in Canada and is date stamped '1932'. The plating and razor are in reasonable condition, but it's rare to see the Canadian ones so it's gone away for safe keeping!

neocaligatio said:
Thanks for the comments Baz!
You're welcome!

neocaligatio said:
The techs are great little razors - My ball-end tech is an aluminium-handled one, but I think they also made a heavier, plated handle too.

I'm very interested to see what you think of it, as I tend to recommend techs quite a lot and it's good to get feedback from first-time users.
Once again, thanks to all for the replies. It's hard to tell from the photo whether it's aluminium or plated, but will deffo post a follow up as soon as it arrives.

I'm willing to bet that it's not aluminium because of the knurling and the shape of the knob at the end. The aluminium models I've seen have a rather distinctive basketweave diamond knurl, and a plain cylindrical end. The one in the following pic is not quite identical to the ones I'm familiar with, but the pattern on the handle is clearly shown.

Attachments

• tech_alugriff.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 409
hunnymonster said:
There are also solid cast aluminium ball-ends though - rather than the usual tubular brass ones (you can tell because there's no hole in the ball-end on the aluminium ones)

I think mine falls into that category, but it's boxed up at the moment so can't be sure...

The two which have passed through my hands recently haven't had any casting lines, but both have had rather rough and ready parting off marks on the ends. I assumed that they'd been turned from bar stock: a four tool capstan would make very short work of that job.

Re: Gillette Tech info required... Update

Hi all - Razor arrived today from France and is in remarkable nick. I'd say it was near mint, certainly hardly used. There are no casting lines and it's very light - certainly looks and feels like aluminium. There's a small circular mark on the end, so suppose it's been turned?

There are two unbroken bars on the top plate to hold the blade. The underside of the bottom plate has the Gillette diamond on the left and 'Made In France' stamped on the right. There are no other markings. What I find strange is that if made in France for the French market, wouldn't it say 'Fabrique En France'? Why in English? Could it have been made in England and exported? (But then what's wrong with 'Made in England'? Still no reason not to have 'Fabrique En France' but maybe they just couldn't be arsed?). Thoughts?

Seems like the date is mid-fifties, which is cool - I was born in 1955, so I'm going to make believe it's as old as me :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm very happy with it and dying to polish it up and give it a go!

Mine has "Gillette" stamped into the top plate, and "Made in England" on the bottom plate. Possibly yours was made in France for the British market, hence the language? My experience has been that these polish up very well, leaving you with a distinctive, pretty razor, and a good shaver as well. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom