Gillette Single Ring

This is a 1918 Gillette Single Ring. It gives a superb shave. I have spruced it up as much as I can.
This was made in the USA.

I have questions.
How can I determine whether of not it is silver plated?
And is it likely to cost much to have this made to look as good as new? And can anyone point me to a restorer?

Just added latest picture after cleaning with Gif. Mon 26/10

Attachments

• DSC_1430.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 231
  • DSC_1431.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 227
  • DSC_1443.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 182
I got my answer about restoration in this thread.

Still want to know if it's silver plated but I guess Dave will know. I have sent him an email.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=102</a><!-- l -->

Fido said:
Still want to know if it's silver plated but I guess Dave will know. I have sent him an email.

Just rub it with sweaty hands, and smell your hands. If you smell something sulfury-like, it is silver. If it smell metally (iron, copper, brass, etc) it is not...

Or put it away on a bookshelf in your living room and check it in about 9 months. If it developed a slightly yellowish patina, it is silver.

Silver is quite reactive towards sulfur. Both sulfur and sulfur-containing substances in the air, and sulfur containing substances on your skin/in your sweat (skin protein -- leather... contains a fair amount of sulfur as cross-linkers, to give skin its toughness) react readily with silver. This is why silver develops yellow to brownish spots over time. This can be dissolved with ammonia or other ammonium compounds - silver polish.

Henk

Fido said:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=102</a><!-- l -->

I never did get a mail back from him on that subject.

come to think of it I seem to remember doing some electroplating at school.It was easy with the kit we had, I guess you just need the correct chemical solution and a charge to put through it?
If only we had a chemist on board to tell us how :lol:

Thanks Andy

I have put a bit of effort into smartening it up and it really is looking pretty good so I will leave it at that for now. I will be back to you if needed. This little thing really does give a great shave and I will be using it regularly.

Bring it down on Wednesday. I have a lovely gentle cleaner that will get in the knurling really well with a little elbow grease you will be surprised.

Boab said:
Fido said:

I never did get a mail back from him on that subject.

I got a prompt reply to an email today about replating from Dave. He can do it.
Might have been a glitch so may be worth contating him again if there is something you still want doing.

Back
Top Bottom