Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Anyone use a vintage 'New'
If so what do you think of it?
What kind of money do they go for?

The old open comb has grabbed you huh?

I've spent between £5 and £20 on the bay.

They can come in a variety of heads n handles, which can be very similar to R41 or a lot more aggressive.

Not much between US and UK long tooth but more comfortable than short tooth.

When coupled with the right handle and right blade my favourite razor no question.

Wanna borrow one?

yes the OC bug hit me hard!!

I wouldnt mind a loaner to try.

I will catch you in the chat at some point if you are on.

Boab, look out for bent teeth on the old News.

(Where else could you write that?)

I had quite a few of them this time last year, PIF'd 'em coz they were in job lots and I only wanted the TTOs. If I get any more in you'll be the first to know.

You should give one a serious trial Olie...that is just shear TTO snobbery. A NEW knocks a Rocket "as a shaver" into cocked hat for me.

I've been meaning to post about this subject for a while but as well as blade gap and exposure affecting aggression the head profile makes a significant difference to the feel of a razor, the fact that its an OC has less effect than you probably think.

The odd bent or missing tooth although visually displeasing makes very little if any difference to the shave, if they were bent enough to do so they would just break, as I have discovered. You wouldn't want too pay much for one either but lets say I have one called Shane that I like using.

Seems like they are valued here too

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/v ... Category=7</a><!-- m -->

I have an aristocrat and a rocket both of which get no where near the Muehle in terms of the quality of the shave.I like the TTO razors but in my view the mechanism makes the head too bulky.The 3 piece design allows the head to be slim and easy to get around the nose and under the chin. Tony what is the weight distribution like on the new? I have come to prefer a heavier head rather than a heavier handle.

TTO's just work really well for me, but I have a light beard and I'm a sucker for that one-piece blade change mechanism.

I gave Tech's, New's, etc a good go but don't think they're for me.

If I see any I'll pass 'em on. Let me know if you want to sell that Rocket and Aristocrat. I love 'em.

Yep...the NEW's I own (6) all have a heavier head bias, I tried this...

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1396</a><!-- l -->

but the balance and feel wasn't good so I melted the solder out of it in the end.

My personal favourite is the English NEW #66 which is actually a two piece, as being sold by safetyrazors.

This sort of thing?[attachment=1][attachment=0]

I got this from another member via ebay last year.
I still haven't got around to using it ....but will do eventually.
It wasn't that expensive £10 +postage (£3.50).

..probably cheaper than your Aristocrat

Attachments

• Boxed Razor.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 63
  • My open comb 4.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 63
I traded for a frankenrazor that has a New head on a tech handle, but I tired it out and wasn't overly impressed.

I actually bought a set of threads to make my own New handles, along with a couple of News to use as donors.... haven't got round to it yet though!

Tony sent me a loaner head with a couple of handles to try, must say the gap looks aggressive.Will report back after a couple of shaves.Cheers Tony.

I understand the apprehension, give it a good trial, when when you find the right blade combo and you're used to it nothing else will do.

Back
Top Bottom