Gillette New Biased Pin & Short Pin ... Why?

On certain 'New' models (during the second world war years, if B&B is to be believed) GIllette put out examples with short pins rather than the long(er) twin slot pins as seen on the British flat bottom 'New' and Tech. These short pins did locate the blade, the short pin on the inner most protrusions and the biased pin one on the inside, one on the outside protrusion.

Simple question ... why?

Surely the more regular twin slot (which fits the slots on the baseplate) worked fine and was all setup for manufacture. Why change down to these small pins and miss securing more of the blade.

OP
pjgh
Is that one of these @TobyC

I don't think I'm being dim here but I'm not seeing how those blades would not fit with the regular twin slot. Neither the regular twin slot nor these caps fit the three hole.

Yes, these razors will only fit the 'New' blade and not the expired three hole patent, so if you bought one of these razors you would have to buy the 'New' blades as well (from Gillette). I get this ...

No, my point is ... why the little slots and why the bias? Why not just the regular twin slot? Or indeed the long slot, as per the US style (as pictured in the advert)?

Last edited:
Well crap, I guess I didn't answer the question. I don't know why they did that, then again, I don't know why they made so many variations of pretty much every thing they made.

Top Bottom