Gillette Guard

Second shave using the Gillette Guard this morning. I find it hard to even consider using anything other than my Cobra at the moment, but I was quite impressed with this Guard on first use and I don't like taking too long to shave in the mornings when I'm working a late shift, so went for the Guard today. Using the Guard means I can pretty much just swipe away at my face using as much or as little pressure as I like, without having to take any real care when shaving. Much like any other cartridge system. It's just incredibly easy. A 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG and the results were good. It really is pretty much as good a result as any other razor I use, however I can get a pretty good shave with most combinations of equipment.
So this has got me thinking... Is this result also achievable with other razor systems ie Mach 3 etc? Is the shave quality we all get used to with DE/SE etc down to technique learned, good prep using a decent brush and cream or soap and less to do with the razor and blade than we all might think and believe? I don't know...
From what I remember of the days when I have used a cartridge razor it would be a quick application of whatever shave gel in a can using my hands, followed by a one pass quick shave with whatever razor it may have been, with no thought or knowledge of how to shave properly. I know there are members on here who mainly use cart systems and are very happy doing so.
I don't know what I'm getting at really.... Anyway, the Guard is a decent little shaver and incredibly cheap with it. Very handy for a slightly quicker, fuss free shave. And it's got me thinking about things I didn't really want to consider...

[attachment=10490]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399889486.486134.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399889486.486134.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 116
I had a go with my old fusion the other day with much the same result. I think the main difference is in the soap and brush plus the fact that DE shaving makes me concentrate on which direction everything is growing so when I repeat the process with the fusion I get equally good results.

Midas said:
I had a go with my old fusion the other day with much the same result. I think the main difference is in the soap and brush plus the fact that DE shaving makes me concentrate on which direction everything is growing so when I repeat the process with the fusion I get equally good results.

This. Exactly what I have found.

Ian

This is excellent. Cheap, a single blade which doesn't clog as easily as multi-blade cartridges, and cuts through thick stubble easily. Doesn't deliver BBS but gets very close.

I was wondering something of the same, I had a crack at the straight, love the SE but perhpas in truth I learnt so much about shaving from them both that I can get a decent shave with most things now. I never used to stretch me skin until I had a crack at the straight, now I don't know how I managed without? Using proper soaps and a brush is another case altogether. I love the GGuard story and the querky idea of some guy in a hut, no light, cold water and more worried about cutting himself than getting a close shave ROFL!

I haven't bought one yet but just banged an order out for posterities sake! Would be good if we could do a massive group buy... :)

Re: RE: Gillette Guard

NotTheStig said:
This is excellent. Cheap, a single blade which doesn't clog as easily as multi-blade cartridges, and cuts through thick stubble easily. Doesn't deliver BBS but gets very close.

And is designed to kill off DE razor blade sales.

TBH if I had to shave in twilight, no mirror, cup of cold water and a bit of hand soap, shaving soap if lucky, then I'd be reaching for the Guard rather than DE.

shavecraft said:
TBH if I had to shave in twilight, no mirror, cup of cold water and a bit of hand soap, shaving soap if lucky, then I'd be reaching for the Guard rather than DE.

Yeah, me too. Sensor Excel was the best cart I ever used though Contour Plus was pretty decent. Long live DE!

Having started shaving as a teenager with a DE razor, gone through the cartridge thing and returned to DE razors. I would definitely say its the prep that makes the shave. You don't need to prep properly with a cartridge so people don't, and they get an average shave.
The Guard is made in India for that market. Where are they available in the UK?

Eeyore68 said:
I never used a Sensor. Was it very different from the Contour? That was the last cartridge razor that I used.

I just felt it gave a better shave is about all I can remember but my mind is addled! NeilWF probably describes the difference I experienced i.e. prep. The Sensor Excel had funny lube strips (double I think) and little rubber stubble 'lifters' and maybe t'was those that made the difference. I was using a very cheap Kent bristle brush and Wright's coal tar bath soap at the time. Think I had an equally cheap Culmak boar at some point too and a Salter one at another. All lost in the brain fog of time by my diseased mind! :icon_rolleyes:

The Sensor was certainly superior to the Mach3 in two regards for me: firstly, the blades were presented at a better angle for square-edging those sideburns and secondly, getting three blades round the then much sharper prominence of my chin was more irritating and less effective than the Sensor's two.

If I had to go back to carts, it'd be the Sensor I'd choose. S'pose that's why I buy at least 100 DE blades a month!

fancontroller said:
neilwf said:
Having started shaving as a teenager with a DE razor, gone through the cartridge thing and returned to DE razors. I would definitely say its the prep that makes the shave. You don't need to prep properly with a cartridge so people don't, and they get an average shave.
The Guard is made in India for that market. Where are they available in the UK?

eBay Item# 221448348830
Got one from this source,have yet to try it out .:angel:

Back
Top Bottom