Gillette FlexBall

HAd to be out early today so I wanted a quick, effective shave. Having just received a Gillette RollerBall razor, I gave it a go, using DE techniques throughout.

Noticed whilst rinsing my face with water after the first WTG pass that I need shave no further - more than good enough to go to the office, had I one to go to. But went ahead with XTG and ATG and found some whiskers each time - net result is the BBS-est BBS I've ever had and with a very easy go-round - even the difficult patches were smooth as smmoothh without having received any special attention at all.

Quality of shave - 100%. Satisfaction with shave - 20%.

Definitely the best Gillette to date in whatever series these things are - I'd say best ever but no need to upset the '04ers around.

Edit: title changed from RollerBall to FlexBall 9.9.14

RE: Gillette RollerBall

I thought pen as well...
So how does the rollerball razor work then Carl?, presumably the ball is just a ball to roll over the face and not a mini lawn mower. ie....A ball with blades set into it that revolves and scythes the whiskers at the same time...Scary concept.

Wow! you've been watching to many horror movies!!

I don't know the Gillette name for them - I call them rollerball after the Dyson vacuum cleaners.

They take a standard five blade Gillette cartridge which can pivot side to side a few degrees - as in steering a Dyson but being dragged. So you have a gimbal effect - sideways movement as well as the by now familiar 'flap movement'.

Does it make a difference? Well, I guess it makes a huge difference judging by the ease and effectiveness of my shave this morning - singular data.

Would it mow five or six days growth? I'm guessing not but there are tools designed to do that so why attempt it with a precision tool?

I went back to a Mach3 cartridge shave a few weeks back because of a lack of time and I found it the same as you Carl. It was much quicker and had he best results for a wee while BBS wise but zero enjoyment. If I was to go back to cartridge shaving I would soon fall back into my old habit of weekly shaving because it was boring.

Bechet45 said:
Wow! you've been watching to many horror movies!!

I call them rollerball after the Dyson vacuum cleaners.

They take a standard five blade Gillette cartridge which can pivot side to side a few degrees

Does it make a difference? Well, I guess it makes a huge difference judging by the ease and effectiveness of my shave this morning - singular data.

What's doin Carl,

I don't doubt there's been some cartridge system improvements since I last used the then current circa 2006 version. There's been other posts about how comfortable but still effective the newer ones can be.

New people......DO NOT READ ANY FARTHER!!!!!!! All done.......nothing to see.

Thank you and bye bye.

Martin

Hopefully they fell for that. I would hate for em to read what's next. When is that secret part of the forum gonna be ready?

So listen, is this goofy 'hobby' mostly about the shave? Heh, I can count out any gay related kinda thing. Just the usual percent in the overall mix of enthusiastic hobbyists. No, it's not pampering.....not exactly. Well maybe a little.

Anyway, for most people with no irritation related issues using a cartridge, it seems like the shave with one can be real good. I mean jeeez most of youse guys don't even go for BBS results.

Why do we have so many ways on the arsenal to whack whiskers. Pretty screwy thing to settle on for knowing something about. Should be some kinda name for those goofballs.

Really, all a new person needs is a basic Sensor in order to have a very good wet shaving experience that even takes a little skill.

Done,

Martin

I'm convinced that the razor designs only went through "improvements" because the patents ran out on previous designs. Gillette was the master of coming up with patent-able designs every 20 years, just in time for the previous design patent to run out. These new designs came about not because they were any better than the last, but so they could have a new patent to milk for 20 years. This is why the Gillette designs run in cycles and the older designs are better at clearing stubble than newer designs.

It's all smoke and mirrors Carl!

I got a special deal on introduction of this razor shortly after they introduced to Bangor Sub Base, May; June officially e purchased them @ $8.00 --- Now they are up to $12? And of course cheaper when you Look around. One to Birmingham and one to Scotland.

Robert Otten said:
I got a special deal on introduction of this razor shortly after they introduced to Bangor Sub Base, May; June officially e purchased them @ $8.00 --- Now they are up to $12? And of course cheaper when you Look around. One to Birmingham and one to Scotland.

Oh, and one to Germany. Sorry Onur ...

I have a Mach 3 which gets wheeled out when I am strapped for time or dont want to risk nicking myself.

Yes, by employing DE shaving techniques I get a splendid shave, better than a patient shave with my DE if using a blade other than a feather.

But, I wouldnt do it every day, oh no. Partly because of the cost, but mostly because its a bland shaving experience and I feel detached from the blade when using it, when using the DE I feel more of whats going on on my face. Bit like the difference between a non PAS car and one with that bloody awful electric steering that Fiat use.

Sent a few out to Birmingham, Germany and Scotland as I got them for $8 bucks at an introduction on Bangor Sub Base; June or July time frame. Now up to $12-14, but you have to shop around. I agree these razors are spot on if you are in a hurry. Haven't tried one of these rotators but sounds like a great shave.

I used one this evening(thanks Bob) and It does give a good shave,the one I have has a battery in it and it vibrates,whether that help I couldn't say but my face does feel smooth.
The acid test will be how my face feels in the morning,using a DE I'm still pretty smooth til nearly lunchtime the morning after.

Dave.

Back
Top Bottom