Gillette flair tip any good?

hi all managed to pick up a gillette flair tip on ebay uk for £8.01 arrived today looking really dirty gave it a clean with toothpaste and it looks really nice now i'm pretty new to de shaving just been using the new wilkinson sword classic twist to open so thought i'd try a vintage gillette are they good razors? and any idea how to date it? underneath it says made in usa and D1 any help would be appreciated
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG

That's a really good razor — very well made, and quite classy to my eye. It isn't an aggressive model, but should have a bit more bite than a modern Wilkinson Sword. My dad used one just like it, and probably from around the same year, but unfortunately he threw it out after moving over to cart razors.

hi all managed to pick up a gillette flair tip on ebay uk for £8.01 arrived today looking really dirty gave it a clean with toothpaste and it looks really nice now i'm pretty new to de shaving just been using the new wilkinson sword classic twist to open so thought i'd try a vintage gillette are they good razors? and any idea how to date it? underneath it says made in usa and D1 any help would be appreciated
View attachment 41645
View attachment 41646
View attachment 41647
Sheesh!!!
You UK based or US?
If in the UK what a bargain.

For whatever reasons the Super-Speed family doesn't seem to attract the hordes of seekers that the "Fatboy", Aristocrat & Rocket do. Probably more to do with the rarity of the latter ones and the novelty factor.

That's a really good razor — very well made, and quite classy to my eye. It isn't an aggressive model, but should have a bit more bite than a modern Wilkinson Sword. My dad used one just like it, and probably from around the same year, but unfortunately he threw it out after moving over to cart razors.
Sheesh!!!
You UK based or US?
If in the UK what a bargain.
i'm in the uk

Great deal on a great razor! Best DE TTO ever made IMHO, the adjustables are sorely overrated, and the only difference with the Red Tip is the handle, which is heavier and slightly larger in diameter.

For whatever reasons the Super-Speed family doesn't seem to attract the hordes of seekers that the "Fatboy", Aristocrat & Rocket do. Probably more to do with the rarity of the latter ones and the novelty factor.

Everyone has one, they just don't brag about it on the forums. Folks feel the need to have the biggest, baddest, most expensive thing around so they can "show off". I like the real stuff, the "working man's" razors,... they had to work, and they had to last, without costing an arm and a leg.

Great deal on a great razor! Best DE TTO ever made IMHO, the adjustables are sorely overrated, and the only difference with the Red Tip is the handle, which is heavier and slightly larger in diameter.

The three "tiered" Super-Speed models increase in blade gap by 0.005" per model for the "Blue Tip thru the "Red Tip" according to Razor Emporium:

http://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-blade-gaps/

The "Flare Tip" has the same gap (0.025") as the greatest razor ever made IMO: the Tech.

Back
Top Bottom