Gamechange .68

I've been chasing this one for quite a while as I thought the .84 might be a tad aggressive for me.
At last my search is over and my new razor arrived this morning.
This is where I got it from:-

https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/raz...ame-changer-068-super-knurl-safety-razor.html

It took a week to get here from Spain but it was worth the wait.
Delivery packaging was great and the razor came in a cardboard box with the razor wrapped in tissue inside.
No unnecessary plastic added which ticks a big box for me.
The razor itself is a good positive weight with the super knurled handle giving excellent grip.
The head is very slim, probably one of the slimiest I found.
Unscrewing the handle was smooth and positive with no teeth grinding squeaks.
This three part razor really looks the part.
I wasn't going to shave today but I couldn't resist it.
Blade of choice was an Astra Superior Platinum, my usual blade for a first shave with any new razor (for comparison).
The Blade was a tight fit onto the posts which shows good tolerances during manufacture and helps the blade to seat properly.
When assembled, the blade alignment and gap where consistent across it length.
The blade is held firmly on place with no blade show at the ends of the razor which some people may like or not

The Shave
I Lathered up with some Stirling Ramblin' Man and a Yaqi 28 Synthetic brush and set to work
The WTG pass was comfortable with feedback from the razor positive.
I have found that some razors don't allow the blade to be held firmly in place allowing the blade to "vibrate" slightly but not here.
As expected, under the nose was easier to shave that with other bulkier heads with the slim head making good work with this tricky little spot.
Rinsing the soap from the razor was easy and no blockages or clogs built up within the head.
XTG pass as expected was smooth and with the completion of the ATG pass, there where no weepers or aggravated areas to be found.
A few touch ups in the normal places and I was done.
Quick rub up with the alum stone and I was delighted to feel only a few jags where I had went a bit heavy handed.
On with the Balm and all done.

Results and Feelings
For a first shave with a new razor I was surprised at how easy it was to find and maintain the correct shaving angle.
The finish on the razor meant there was no drag from it across areas that hadn't any soap or had just been shaved.
The blade held firm in the head, the best I've found to date and the handle give zero slippage in soapy and wet hands.
I'm delighted with the razor and I'm sure that with a little bit of time, I'll be getting BBS shave every time.
Very comfortable.

Blade Gap
As I stated at the beginning of this post, I thought the blade gap of .68 would be ideal for me.
The shave offered by this razor is second to none but I'm left wondering about the .84 model now.
My daily shaver is a Rockwell 6C on plate 4 (listed as a .61 gap).
I would, through the feel of this shave alone, think that the Gamechanger .68 is a tad milder despite the larger blade gap.
To me this proves there's much more to a razor and its aggressiveness than blade gap alone, a point worth noting.
To this end and with Christmas coming, a .84 might just be on my Santa list as you can never have to many razors.
At least that's what I tell my wife.

I remain super impressed with both the Gamechanger .68 and .84. The manufacturing tolerances, tight clamping of the blade and quality of the shave are superb (take note Muhle Rocca); the low profile head is spot on and they are both smooth, comfortable and agile shavers. I would agree that the .68 is a better shaver overall than the .84, even though many prefer the .84. The .68 is more nuanced; with practice, it can shave as close as the .84 and is noticeably smoother and gentler on the skin. It just requires a little more practice and familiarity to get the best out of it. I would rate the Gamechanger .68 amongst the best razors currently available, at any price, that I have used. (I think the .68 is still available; if not, it will become a classic for sure). I would have happily paid 3 or 4 times the current cost, as it is that good. RR hit the bulls eye with this razor's design, quality and pricing; their experience, innovation and passion just ooze out of the razor - a tour de force for sure, on par with the Weber PH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom