FRANKENRAZOR

Thought I'd show you chaps this monstrosity before it went off to be plated.

frankenrazor.jpg

The head is off an English NEW but the handle is off a fairly light weight American NEW (54g).
To add a bit of heft I snipped some small pieces of lead solder and placed them in the handle.

After tying the handle with some wire to be able to hold it I gently heated the handle with a gas burner.
When the handle rattled no longer it was done, the NEW now weighs a generous 72g.

If you have a tired TECH or other 3 piece, adding a little heft "might" bring it back into favour.

That's... um... special? Haha

Should look good once it's all plated the same though - you going for gold or nickel? I've got a razor sat next to me on the desk that is about to be shipped off for re-plating, but mine is in dire need!

4168301697_b588a06a78.jpg

Who's doing your plating?

Your's NEED's replating??? What dat? Gold superspeed from what decade?

Nickel...I was just going to send it to Dave at Saftey Razors.

I've got a gillette milord in slightly better nick than yours -but far from perfect.

How easy is it to get it gold plated(replated)?
At present, I'm not sure I'll bother but if I like it (when I eventually get around to using it) I might consider it...

I'm looking into a plating company in Halifax which seems to have a flat rate of £7 for nickel and chrome - any smallish quantity. I'll report back once I've found out how much they charge for gold, but the quality is good.

Don't forget to lacquer the gold plating to protect it, some automotive aerosol stuff should do. Clean it well, warming the piece also helps with the finish.

antdad said:
Don't forget to lacquer the gold plating to protect it, some automotive aerosol stuff should do. Clean it well, warming the piece also helps with the finish.

Really? I hadn't thought of that, doesn't it make one piece razors a little sticky?

R
hunnymonster said:
Paul_D said:
How easy is it to get it gold plated(replated)?

Dave (of Safetyrazors.co.uk) is in Boldon... so for you extremely easy :D

Aaah. Fair enough. I dropped a 1964 slim with him to replate with nickel. His business address is about halfway between my house and my parents -I didn't bother with the Royal Mail!

I have a 1636 chalice and patten in silver. Lovely piece of English silver.

I'll send it to Dave for the bling treatment!

Bound to add to the value.

Er . . . .

neocaligatio said:
antdad said:

Really? I hadn't thought of that, doesn't it make one piece razors a little sticky?

You can always mask off the handle whist lacquering the head and visa versa...get everything warm and clean, practise spray on something, a few light coats is all you need to increase the life of your new plating. It will wear quite quickly otherwise as I doubt it's more than a few microns thick, I think most if not all the gold plated razors would have been lacquered.

Back
Top Bottom