Fountain Pens

I use a Parker fountain pen every day - it was quite a cheap one bough in France on the same shopping trip in the 90s that I picked up my G1000. The pen is all metal, rather than the plastic-shelled ones that are sold in most shops.

I recently tried one of the entry-level parker fountain pens (around £10) and they aren't a patch on my old french one. My question is this - The old Gillette razors represent amazing value for money when compared with modern equivalents and the build quality is exceptional. If I was to look for a vintage fountain pen, is there an equivalent in the pen world?

Chris

Or would I just be better with something like this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theonlinepencompany.com/pencompany/product_fp_detail.php?sku=S0701800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theonlinepencompany.com/penc ... u=S0701800</a><!-- m -->

:|

I believe the Parker 51 is the fountain pen equivalent of a very good vintage Gillette.

Having said that, there are modern pens (as there are razors) which will do a good job.

Lamy make well regarded inexpensive fountain pens, for example.

Yeah, just buy a good quality modern one. A decent Waterman's, Lamy, Pelikan, Mont Blanc, or Shaeffer will give you years of hassle-free writing joy.

Or get one of the better, or high end, kits and turn your own... Anthony Turchetta (Golden Nib) sells kits, as does Arizona Silhouette. Berea Hardwoods, on of the producers of kits, sell direct. WoodCraft, Craft Supply, and other online/retail chains that cater to woodworkers also sell kits. All enterprises mentioned are US... Axminster has a limited selection, though not, afaik, of the high end fountain pens.

FYI, all kits originate from Taiwan... As do many, even brand name, fountain pens found in stores...

Although I started to gradually build up my collection of fountain, roller, ball pens and pencils in 2006, it was only recently that I looked into the whole matter more extensively.

A good reference point is this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/</a><!-- m -->

Joe is spot on regarding the Parker 51. Many experienced pen collectors advocate buying a vintage pen.

Basic rules to follow:

1. It is recommended to get a fountain pen with a gold nib instead of a steel one. It is softer thus much smoother in writing.
2. Above 300 quid there is absolutely no gain in quality of writing. All that changes is the 'dress' of the pen, i.e. lacquer, platinum, limited edition, etc.
3. Most reasonable choices and pens that will give you years and years of enjoyable writing are Pelikan, Waterman, Parker, Lamy, Sailor models in the price tag range 60 quid to around 200 quid. Just get one that fits your fingers size. Of course if you can get a vintage one (and you like it) then by all means do so.
4. The Lamy Safari, Al-Star and Vista models are great value and extremely durable. They offer the advantage of having the ability to change nibs easily, so you can try F, M, B, italics nibs at very low cost. They will not be as soft to write with as a Parker 51 or a Pelikan 400 are, but still, for twelve quid new they are a true classic.
5. The magic is in the inks and papers - some notebooks are totally unsuitable for fountain pen writing, so be aware.

Cart002.jpg

Thanks for the info chaps.

I had seen the Golden Nib kits, but it would involve purchasing the mandrels and various additional 'bit's to turn only 1-2 pens. I like the idea of interchangeable nibs though, so might give them a go. I think my question is answered - the mid-priced modern pens seem like the way to go, now I just need to find a reasonable excuse to spend this much on a pen.... :lol:

I always thought that new pens weren't as nice to write with as one you've had for a while because you wear the nib down to "your angle" over time. As such I won't let anyone use mine which I've had since I got married nearly 14 years ago.

I've avoided developing a serious interest in fountain pens, because they're exactly the sort of thing that I could get obsessive about. Old Conway Stewarts are deeply desirable, at least I think so.

I used to use fountain pens all the time when I went through uni, but was lulled away from art by keyboards and ballpoints ...

Went back again about 5 years ago and still use fountain pens now. Shooting lower than yourself though - bought a few Hero pens off ebay - mighty fine pens at a fab price. I don't think I paid more than about £9 delivered for the most expensive.

Definately worth a bid or two if you fancy trying them out.

i have 3 fountain pens and that's the way it's gonna stay :shock:

I have a Lamy (which was a present from someone), a MB 149 (a present from myself :oops: ) and my day to day pen is a Parker Frontier - which cost about £12 and has a 'dinged' nib which gives me a lovely scratchy noise as i write with it :)

i really have to tread carefully around pen shops, otherwise i will end up with more more MB ink than i could possibly drink - but boy do i love those jars!!!

I have a Lamy AL-Star - in a limited edition burgundy colour.
With a Converter.
Full of Diamine Imperial Purple Ink.

Should have bought a Black Safari with Prussian Blue Ink . . . maybe next time.

neocaligatio said:
Thanks for the info chaps.

I had seen the Golden Nib kits, but it would involve purchasing the mandrels and various additional 'bit's to turn only 1-2 pens.

True. On the other hand, if you choose a model for which I happen to have the hardware, I could do it for you ;-)

N_Architect said:
Although I started to gradually build up my collection of fountain, roller, ball pens and pencils in 2006, it was only recently that I looked into the whole matter more extensively.

A good reference point is this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/</a><!-- m -->

Joe is spot on regarding the Parker 51. Many experienced pen collectors advocate buying a vintage pen.

Basic rules to follow:

1. It is recommended to get a fountain pen with a gold nib instead of a steel one. It is softer thus much smoother in writing.
2. Above 300 quid there is absolutely no gain in quality of writing. All that changes is the 'dress' of the pen, i.e. lacquer, platinum, limited edition, etc.
3. Most reasonable choices and pens that will give you years and years of enjoyable writing are Pelikan, Waterman, Parker, Lamy, Sailor models in the price tag range 60 quid to around 200 quid. Just get one that fits your fingers size. Of course if you can get a vintage one (and you like it) then by all means do so.
4. The Lamy Safari, Al-Star and Vista models are great value and extremely durable. They offer the advantage of having the ability to change nibs easily, so you can try F, M, B, italics nibs at very low cost. They will not be as soft to write with as a Parker 51 or a Pelikan 400 are, but still, for twelve quid new they are a true classic.
5. The magic is in the inks and papers - some notebooks are totally unsuitable for fountain pen writing, so be aware.

Cart002.jpg

Images like these stimulate my collecting gene. "Fido's pen blog" No - a step too far! But I do love fountain pens - and quills.

Desk.jpg

I love the old Conway Stewarts although they can be expensive. I think the materials, design and quality take some beating. Also look at Parker Duofolds.

My daily pens are Lamay safari, Waterman and a Churchill and I have several others including some Chinese which are great value for money.

The 316 is a real looker at a great price
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Chinese-Pen-Supplier__W0QQ_fsubZ13050680QQ_scZ1QQ_sopZ1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Chinese-Pen-Su ... Z1QQ_sopZ1</a><!-- m -->

If you like large pens Ive also got a Mont Blanc MB149 for sale and in almost new condition :) not cheap but a very handsome pen and an icon in the pen world.

A word of caution ,,,,,Pens can be very addictive!!
regards,beejay

Back
Top Bottom