Fountain pen ink

How adventurous are you when it comes to ink for your pens?
Do you even try to match the colour of the ink to the pen?

Me, I'm so far extremely boring.
I use Diamine Onyx black in every fountain pen I have but I am starting to feel the urge to venture outside of the safety and familiarity of black ink.

I've seen some amazing looking purple, red, green, etc...

Having recently started reusing fountain pens I only have 3 inks.

Dark Lilac to match my new Lamy
Diamine Blue Black
Diamine Jet Black

Apart from the Dark Lilac I just picked inks that I thought were nice and formal, although the Jet Black seems to be too grey for me.

I use black, blue, purple and various brown shades of Diamine inks, and, as I have about half a dozen pens on the go, I have a variety to use. For formal letters and signatures, I tend to use Onyx or Jet Black. I also like black Quink.

The only ink I won't use is green. 45 years ago, I joined the London office of an American (Chicago) advertising agency, Leo Burnett-LPE. The eponymous founder, the great adman Leo Burnett, always signed in green ink, and no-one in the group, anywhere in the world, would dare to use that colour. I don't, to this day.

Ferrum

It was the Lamy Deep Lilac pen that attracted me back to fountain pens so I also bought purple ink and cartridges. I have to say how much more interesting my handwriting looks in purple than in traditional colours. It may last or it may not - I'm still very much in the novelty phase.

The colours I have at present are:
Diamine Prussian Blue
Diamine Sapphire Blue
Diamine Quartz Black
Diamine Mediterranean Blue
Waterman Florida Blue
Waterman Black
Waterman South Sea Blue
Everflo Blue-black
Everflo True Blue

From time to time I'll be adventurous and buy some brown, green or other colour, but for the moment I'm satisfied with what I have.

Diamine's Onyx Black is a good black for normal (boring) writing.
Red Dragon is a really nice (and usable) red that's loaded in my red Jinhao x750.
Blue pens get loaded with Sapphire Blue or Bilberry (purplish) if feeling carefree.
Gold coloured pen get loaded with Oxblood, Saddlebrown or even Cult Pens' Deep Dark Orange.

Got quit a few inks generally shades of blue and black, but my favorite is Private Reserve 2003 DC Super Show Blue. Alas I am running low :( and only available in USA with hellish postage

Too much choice in ink world. I narrow it down to diamond but what colour gods only know. Last 10 years black.....

Edit: my phone stupid auto correct. I meant Diamine. ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom