First time with a SE Ever Ready razor.

Dax

Hi,
I'm looking for advice on technique when using a single edge Ever ready safety razor. I use a Merkur Futur DE and get on fine with it at the moment, is it very different?
Cheers
Dax

The blades are stiffer than most DE blades. Keep this in mind.

I find you need to be a little more aware of your grip and the pressure you use. Use a super light grip of the razor. These videos will teach you a grip that you can almost not mess up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQ1Rk68ygw

I find that the best angle between skin and blade is about 10-15 degrees. More than this, and that stiff blade will scrape your skin in a way that will give you a razor burn from another world! Since the head of the Everready is already tilted quite a lot, achieving this angle is significantly different from using a DE. Be aware of this.

Get these things right and you are in for a shave that will rock your world! IMHO only a slant bar comes close to the shaves of a GEM Micromatic. I prefer the Micromatic to the 1912 Everready, because the head of the 1912 is quite bulky. Also the two tongs holding the blade on the 1912 gets in the way for me.

If you like the shaves you get from the 1912, get a Micromatic. Its a bit more aggressive, but my bet is you will like it. You already have a very aggressive razor in the Futur.

/Max

You shouldn't have any probs at all other than being aware that you'll have the added sound effects of the blade mowing through your stubble. If you've ever used a disposable headed razor from Gillette or Wilkinson the SE technique will probably seem fairly familiar. For the first time, as already suggested, just keep an eye on the angle of the head to skin. I'd start off with the shaving head lightly lying on the skin then just increase the angle until the blade contacts the skin. For me at least the SE seldom if ever results in a nick or weeper & gives a truly close shave with no traces of razor burn, redness or irritation.

Enjoy.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Got some GEM blades, a decent badger brush, pre-shave oil and good quality cream. All that and I still gave myself a couple of patches of wicked razor burn either side of the adams apple.:mad:
I know all the videos say go from the chin down the neck but it just seems too severe for me. Might have to stick with the DE and go up the neck like before for a while.

That's sensible, when I started teaching myself to use an open razor I began by just shaving my cheeks with the straight & doing the rest with a DE. Then just moved on to trickier bits as I gained more experience & confidence. Whatever works for you is best.

JohnnyO. \:icon_cry2:

Dax said:
Got some GEM blades, a decent badger brush, pre-shave oil and good quality cream. All that and I still gave myself a couple of patches of wicked razor burn either side of the adams apple.:mad:
I know all the videos say go from the chin down the neck but it just seems too severe for me. Might have to stick with the DE and go up the neck like before for a while.

Just a quick thought, you sure you are not shaving against the grain on your neck ??
for me although all the videos show going down the neck I shave up as that is the way my hair grows.
Regards,
Pete
ps Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs.

Hey Dax - sorry to read that you're having troubles.

Don't give up on the SE - I had my first SE shave this morning and found the results to be fantastic. I may have been lucky this time but I also found it more forgiving than my DEs.

Hope you manage to get it sorted soon :)

Hi Dax,

Keep going with the SE, it will pay off.

Just remember the grip from the video, if you use that, it's virtually impossible to apply too much pressure.

I also find that you have to take care of the angle a little more than with a DE.

/Max

Cheers all,
I think I will keep trying. And hopefully if I change direction and pay more attention to not cutting ATG on my neck I'll get the hang of it.
On the plus side I got the chance to try lots of post shave balms.

Dax said:
On the plus side I got the chance to try lots of post shave balms.

That's the spirit! Now, the other plus side is that you can buy lots of soaps to see if one of them works better for you! ;)

Thanks to the wonders of eBay I tried an Ever Ready open comb 1912 model, just to see how it went. Don't know whether it was the razor, the new blade, practice or what but I was left with no burn and a nice close shave.

Happ days:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom