First Shavette Shave Advice.

CjH

Hi all.

OK. So...... Its Thursday.......
I have 2.7 days worth of growth, a free evening and a Raptor Shavette kindly "PIF'ed" to me by a TSR user.
(you know who you are (y) ;))

The question is. What advice would you give me as I embark on my first ever Shavette razor shave?
Is there any seasoned blade masters that could give me any pointers that would make my Shavette toe dipping an experience that would revolutionise my shaving life for the years ahead?

Any tips welcome.

Don't shave around your chin when starting out! Bought a Parker shavette and used it a few times, it gave me the worst cut I've ever had shaving when going around my chin/jawline. Seen others give the same feedback too. I went back to DE, so that's all I can offer.

Avoid saloon blade shavettes unless you're applying for the Prussian military academy. Sifters or the Dovo with a Cabinet blade are better. But with the low cost of a Feather AC clone from Aliexpress at £14.00, I would go for one of them. If you do use it don't do under your nose, throat, or kahonas.

Slow n easy...take your time...triple your prep...angle is most important...do not dig in or force it.. expect some red liquid along the way.

UPDATE......

OK... So you'll be pleased to hear I'm still Alive. (y):giggle:
As Bob1955 stated above there was "red stuff" but nothing that that was excessive.
I got plenty of burn from the aftershave.
I'm not sure I got the angle entirely right &
It's tricky on the curves of your chin and under the nose.
I took my time.....
After having a nice warm shower I applied some pre shave cream and while that was doing its stuff I lathered up some extro lavanda cream. Using a 24mm yaqi Timberwolf I applied said lather to said chops, and then slowly slowly started to slide the edge of the razor (brand new astra green) across my cheeks.
The cheeks bit went swimmingly for my first attempt. Only a little bit of stubble remained which was reduced by the second pass.
The chin and underneath the nostrils played along, but not without some miniature war wounds that are still slightly stinging at the time of writing.
I finished my Shavette experience with a cold water rinse and some Nivia 2 phase lotion and some Aldi Somthing or other EDT (no point using the good stuff, as I'm off to bed)

The shave was... shall we say interesting and a luring curve. Was it as enjoyable as using my Gillette Slim Adjustable? NO!
Do I think I would use the 'Raptor Shavette' again? Most definitely. (maybe in a week or two when my face has recovered a little.)
I'm sue the more practice I get the better I will get.
However I'm still open to suggestions for future shaves to come.

It really is about making a decision, you need to sign up to keep at it...it will get better, but it will take time and patience, it is a big change and learning from mistakes will defo help, your confidence will grow and your muscle memory will do most of your thinking for you...I remember my first shavette shave where there was no nicks...this happened 3 in a row...got cocky and ended up having to slowwww down again...100% you will get there if you have the determination to continue.

I started with a shavette a couple of years back and it does take some getting used to. I now use a conventional SR but was pressed for time yesterday and couldn't be doing with stropping etc. So, I clipped a new Derby blade into my trusty Parker SRX and whipped around my dial (2 passes) in around 10 mins. The result, a baby butt-smooth shave with zero nicks. People say the shavette is scary and unforgiving of mistakes. My message to them is to grow some cojones and don't make mistakes :D

Back
Top Bottom