First SE shave - I get it!

So, before lockdown my wife bought an Ever Ready razor with USA head for me, bakelite box and some ancient Sheffield made blades. I had a few SE razors before but moved them on before actually trying them, being obsessed with vintage Gillette DEs. Anyway, I got some GEM blades from Connaught and had a go this morning. Very enjoyable shave. Lots of audible feedback. Some problem areas for me (beneath chin and jawline) were handled with aplomb. I didn't have any trouble adjusting to the blade angle and I loved how rigidly the blade is held. With the grain under my nose was a bit tricky, but ATG in the same area tidied things up nicely. The alum block gave only a slight sting so I must have done OK. I think the first pass got more than I usually do with DE. Anyone who's on the fence about SE should just give it a try. Despite their slightly intimidating looks these are fine shavers (but then you guys knew that). (y)

I'm really into SE razors since first trying an AC razor a month or so ago. For more than two decades of my experience shaving with DE I'd never really realized how annoying the lack of rigidity in DE blades is ...

Funnily enough, after a good number of years, I'm really enjoying DE shaving again - I'm using a Star razor, which has very little blade presentation and so holds the blade rock solid. No blade chatter and feels more like an SE shave.
Interesting. And which razor model is that?

Star ... a Gillette Tech clone. The same model came under the Treet, PAL & Personna brands as well. Often the PAL had etched caps and the Personna came with embossed caps. Star & Treet could be had with that familiar hexagonal handle as used on the SE razors. There's also a gold washed Star. Watch out for aluminium baseplates on the later models (largely PAL & Personna).

For @TommyP who has just started to enjoy single edge shaving, you'll find Ever Ready, GEM and Star brands of vintage SE razors. In the later years, these brands all kind of came under the Personna umbrella. There was a Gillette Tech clone under the brands mentioned above and these razors can be considered the legacy of the SE razors. As I said above (and shown in the second photograph), some of those came with the hexagonal handle you'd find on all those SE razors previously.

OP
T
Thanks for the pointers @pjgh . I'll look out for those razors. I do have a fat handle Tech and a replated NEW short comb. Would the aftermentioned Tech clones be overlap or complimentary? Do they hold the blade more rigidly than the Tech or NEW? Shaved with the Ever Ready again today and it was even better as I get used to it. Astounding to me that an ancient design is still so capable. It does a superb job on some areas that have always been a compromise for me. I'll have to do a SOTD soon - I haven't done one in a while.

Thanks for the pointers @pjgh . I'll look out for those razors. I do have a fat handle Tech and a replated NEW short comb. Would the aftermentioned Tech clones be overlap or complimentary? Do they hold the blade more rigidly than the Tech or NEW? Shaved with the Ever Ready again today and it was even better as I get used to it. Astounding to me that an ancient design is still so capable. It does a superb job on some areas that have always been a compromise for me. I'll have to do a SOTD soon - I haven't done one in a while.
The NEW razors were quite something, as were the British Tech razors with the same baseplate ('40s)? The diamond slot American Techs from that era are also very nice. They give what I'd call the definitive DE shave. The Star type razors above a quite a different shave. The blade exposure is so slight and the shave so mild feeling, you'd be forgiven in thinking that it wasn't shaving effectively. That small blade gap translates as a very rigid edge and not at all like DE shaving, generally.

From your original post, the conversation turned rather quickly back to DE shaving and I hoped to give some background that might introduce this slightly different type of DE razor that grew out of the SE market. We're kinda tribal (DE vs SE) but we're not - a good shave is a good shave, and collecting vintage shaving equipment is a lot of fun.

Top Bottom