First DE razor

Guys what's a good starting point when buying a DE razor? I currently use a cut throat which I use to keep my beard lines and neck shaved but it's a bit of a pain to keep sharpening etc for the amount I use it. So I was looking for a DE razor my partner can get me for Christmas

or would there be something more suitable for keepibg beard lines in shape?

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how experienced you are....

If it's a first DE razor and you want to ease into using one - I can personally recommend the Kanzy razor as found here on Amazon.

I've been wet shaving for a number of years and it is my main razor. Based on a Gillette Tech, it's lovely and smooth to use, not aggressive and cheap as chips. You then have a limitless choice. Edwin Jaggers, & Merkur's for instance.

All the best in your selection.

If you are already using a straight, why not a shavette? The ones that use half DE blades can be pretty affordable. And, as with all else shaving, you can go pretty upscale if you want to (I'm talking to you Feather).

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how experienced you are....

If it's a first DE razor and you want to ease into using one - I can personally recommend the Kanzy razor as found here on Amazon.

I've been wet shaving for a number of years and it is my main razor. Based on a Gillette Tech, it's lovely and smooth to use, not aggressive and cheap as chips. You then have a limitless choice. Edwin Jaggers, & Merkur's for instance.

All the best in your selection.
I Was looking at the EJ DE86 as it seems to get a fairly good review. I got a brush and soap etc to go with my CT razor last year so would be a nice match also

If you are already using a straight, why not a shavette? The ones that use half DE blades can be pretty affordable. And, as with all else shaving, you can go pretty upscale if you want to (I'm talking to you Feather).
I thought about that before but I was also seeing if using a DE would be easier for shaving the lines etc mainly because of how you hold it

You might shy away from this idea but when I grew a beard during the winter months, I used to remove the bottom plate from my Gillette Tech and then screw the handle onto the now exposed DE blade to shape and do cleanup around my beard and I found it surprisingly good at doing it (be very careful when tightening handle onto the blade or you WILL cut your fingertips. Place your thumb on top of top plate and a finger on either side of the handle holding the blade in place while tightening the handle). This was many years ago and I no longer grow a beard but I can't recall ever cutting myself when shaving though that may be because I was very much aware of that exposed razor edge and therefore was careful when using it.

Back
Top Bottom