Finding a Blade Formula

Finding a Blade Formula!.......After 6months of DE Shaving, I've still been unable to find a successful way of testing out blades suitable for individual razors. I tried using just one razor and shaving with a blade untill it's fully used. But, I've got bored or I needed to swap razors and blades because of either too little growth or too much.
I think I've got a solution and formula here. With the data I've got, I've found a razor to predominantly test out blades- the DE89.
I've found my Go2Blade - the Super-max stainless steel, that I can test out new razors. Ive found a great combo with the razor DE89, the blade-Dorco Titan & the Brush-Omega98.
Now I need to test out blades in multiple razors one after the other untill the blade stops performing in each of my chosen razors that you see here in this post.43078

Experimenting is always interesting, but could you be over-thinking this a bit? Simple way is to choose your favourite razor and try out a variety of blades in it. Maybe take some notes of the results. Probably only the first 4-5 shaves with each blade is of interest - no point in comparing dull blades.

You haven't mentioned Astra SP, Nacet or 7 o'clock Yellows. They would be at the top of my rotation.

At least you've picked a decent razor to test in. For reasons of repeatability I test every blade in my Wilko classic (the plastic one). Only after a week (or the edge dying) can I transfer to a more exciting razor. And it's so mild I'm not even sure the results are transferable!

I'm just not this methodical. I decide between DE and SE, without thinking very deeply about it, grab whatever razor in that style takes my fancy and then grab a blade, often the one nearest the front of my blade box.

My present form of experimentation involves using my yard stick of a Polsilver Lodz and then pretending nothing else exists. Seems to work brilliantly.

Or in the case of the Oneblade pretending there is nothing else outside of a Feather FHS-10, because there isn't anything else. Except some Gem blade or other which involves the use of some heavy duty pliers, wrenches, vices, screwdrivers and hammers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom