Feather Popular TTO and Feather DE Blade Combination | Friend or Foe?

Hello there!

I purchased the Feather Popular TTO DE Razor last year I think, but it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago I cracked open the box.

I had low expectations, but none-the-less I loaded a Feather DE Blade. The combination was sharp enough to shave my coarse beard (Feather DE Blades tend to be usually at the cost of ingrown hairs later on), but what surprised me was how smooth it was. I've never met its equal. I have many DE razors, vintage and new, expensive and cheap, but none have tamed the Feather DE Blade so well.

48 hours later, my enthusiasm for this combination increased. Next to no ingrown hairs! That is a DE first for me.

However, the bubble burst on the second use of the Feather DE Blade. The difference was like night and day. The second shave, while still somewhat smooth, the blade was dull in comparison to the first shave. My fears confirmed 48 hours later!

About two weeks later (giving enough time for my skin to recover), I loaded a new Feather DE Blade. And again 48 hours later, next to no ingrown hairs.

While I cannot knock the actual shave, its frustrating for me just getting one use of a Feather DE Blade. It just seems rather expensive to me. However I do remember reading online about other shavers with similar experiences with this divisive blade.

Although I was wondering if any fellow shavers have had the same issue with the Feather Popular TTO DE Razor? Or is this not limited to just this razor when using a Feather DE Blade? Does anyone out there know of a (under the radar i.e. not a popular blade as I've probably tried it already) blade comparable to the Feather DE Blade that keeps its edge for more than one shave in a razor like this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello there!

I purchased the Feather Popular TTO DE Razor last year I think, but it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago I cracked open the box.

I had low expectations, but none-the-less I loaded a Feather DE Blade. The combination was sharp enough to shave my coarse beard (Feather DE Blades tend to be usually at the cost of ingrown hairs later on), but what surprised me was how smooth it was. I've never met its equal. I have many DE razors, vintage and new, expensive and cheap, but none have tamed the Feather DE Blade so well.

48 hours later, my enthusiasm for this combination increased. Next to no ingrown hairs! That is a DE first for me.

However, the bubble burst on the second use of the Feather DE Blade. The difference was like night and day. The second shave, while still somewhat smooth, the blade was dull in comparison to the first shave. My fears confirmed 48 hours later!

About two weeks later (giving enough time for my skin to recover), I loaded a new Feather DE Blade. And again 48 hours later, next to no ingrown hairs.

While I cannot knock the actual shave, its frustrating for me just getting one use of a Feather DE Blade. It just seems rather expensive to me. However I do remember reading online about other shavers with similar experiences with this divisive blade.

Although I was wondering if any fellow shavers have had the same issue with the Feather Popular TTO DE Razor? Or is this not limited to just this razor when using a Feather DE Blade? Does anyone out there know of a (under the radar i.e. not a popular blade as I've probably tried it already) blade comparable to the Feather DE Blade that keeps its edge for more than one shave in a razor like this?

Thanks in advance!
Personna Med Prep? :) P

I find Gillette silver blues to be nearly as sharp as Feathers, slightly longer lasting and perhaps just a touch smoother.
Not sure about Gillette Silver Blues. I've generally found the smoothness/sharpness ratio to create more ingrown hairs (more persistent too) for me than Feathers or Personna Lab Blues. I think in the Feather Popular (IMHO), the Gillette Silver Blues would be less efficient to shave my whiskers. But thanks for your feedback Bazz, as its reminded me to think as I did when I used my Gillette Tech. But unfortunately it failed to tame Feathers and other sharp blades for me, so I became cynical of mild razors.

However I suspect the Feather Popular is designed to tame a Feather and by default should tame other almost or as sharp blades in the same way?

Last edited:
Does anyone out there know of a (under the radar i.e. not a popular blade as I've probably tried it already) blade comparable to the Feather DE Blade that keeps its edge for more than one shave in a razor like this?

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend heading to a place like RazorBladesClub where you can buy blades individually and buying a few different types.

Blades that I find to be equally sharp to the Feather but last longer and are well priced include
- Gillette 7 Black
- Gillette 7 Yellow
- Permasharp SS
- Gillette Nacet

Blades are a very YMMV issue so my choices might be different to yours.

I'd recommend heading to a place like RazorBladesClub where you can buy blades individually and buying a few different types.

Blades that I find to be equally sharp to the Feather but last longer and are well priced include
- Gillette 7 Black
- Gillette 7 Yellow
- Permasharp SS
- Gillette Nacet

Blades are a very YMMV issue so my choices might be different to yours.
Hi donnie_arko. Yes, YMMV is always in the forefront of my mind when reading comments. Permasharps tend to be my go to blade when testing a new razor (I took an educated guess with Feathers in the Feather Popular on the first shave), as they are a medium/relatively safe blade for me. I still get some ingrown hairs but they usually clear up in time for the next shave.

I struggle to get DFS with Permasharps in my Gillette Tech, so for me are probably not sharp enough to use in the Feather Popular. Although I do agree with your list of blades that are similar.

I appreciate the recommend. I have a ton of blades in my shave drawer, so I think I'm OK on that front. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm... Personna Med Prep otherwise known as Personna Lab Blues? If so, I've used them in my Gillette Tech with similar dire results using Feathers. Although that could otherwise translate well in the Feather Popular? Thanks Blademonkey!
I will not get into the subject of if Med Prep's are the same as Lab Blue's, it's a big can of worms to be opening! I will just say I use Med Prep's! :) P.

Hi there!

Hope you're well.

I had a shave the other day, and I thought I'd share my results.

Blades used with the Feather Popular
Personna Lab Blue
Shark Chromium
Gillette Super Thins

I always leave my chin last. So the start of my shave is easy. Long story short, I tested all the above blades and even on my easiest parts they did not shave with the same authority as the Feather. I had to buff a lot more to get the same results. When I switched up to a new Feather blade, it was like the difference between a butter knife and a kitchen knife. Not world's apart, but enough to make a difference to me. Especially 48 hours later!

The Feather Popular is a great razor. YMMV, so you may find a different blade works for you. But with no/zero blade feel at all, its impressive for a DE razor if thats your thing. I know for me, there is a clear correlation between no blade feel, and less to no ingrown hairs 48 hours later.

So I may have to resort to buying Feather blades in bulk!

My money cannot stretch to a premium Feather AS-D2. So does anyone know of any metallic DE razors with no/zero blade feel while shaving? I know the Karve on plate AA SB or A SB may be an option, but I cannot afford to buy them at this time, pay Duty Tax and whatever the Royal Mail decides to charge as well. I've posted in the Buy, Sell, Trade for brass Karve plates AA SB or A SB and got no response.

Hopefully I won't be adding one of these...
miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi there!

Hope you're well.

I had a shave the other day, and I thought I'd share my results.

Blades used with the Feather Popular
Personna Lab Blue
Shark Chromium
Gillette Super Thins

I always leave my chin last. So the start of my shave is easy. Long story short, I tested all the above blades and even on my easiest parts they did not shave with the same authority as the Feather. I had to buff a lot more to get the same results. When I switched up to a new Feather blade, it was like the difference between a butter knife and a kitchen knife. Not world's apart, but enough to make a difference to me. Especially 48 hours later!

The Feather Popular is a great razor. YMMV, so you may find a different blade works for you. But with no/zero blade feel at all, its impressive for a DE razor if thats your thing. I know for me, there is a clear correlation between no blade feel, and less to no ingrown hairs 48 hours later.

So I may have to resort to buying Feather blades in bulk!

My money cannot stretch to a premium Feather AS-D2. So does anyone know of any metallic DE razors with no/zero blade feel while shaving? I know the Karve on plate AA SB or A SB may be an option, but I cannot afford to buy them at this time, pay Duty Tax and whatever the Royal Mail decides to charge as well. I've posted in the Buy, Sell, Trade for brass Karve plates AA SB or A SB and got no response.

Thanks in advance.

...the IKON X3 slant head has muted blade feel and is a smooth, comfortable, mild/mid efficient shaver. The head retails for about GBP £30 or a "Want to Buy" post on the forum may be a good alternative to snag a bargain. You may also want to consider some of the Yaqi heads (Mellon in particular) or Baili Tech clone (both available on AliExpress for less than GBP £10 delivered) - they really are superb shavers and a steal at the price offered. The Razorock Tech clone (made by Baili I think and rebranded) and the Razorock Old Type are also excellent, mild, smooth, comfortable shavers. The blade feel on the RR Old Type is not as muted as the others but still not a screamer and it holds the blade absolutely rigid and just works very well. The Razorocks are more expensive rebrands (but usually come with SS handles) and are readily available at UK and US online vendors. Finally the Baili TTO is also very good, again slightly more blade feel but a underrated great shaver. Further info here https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...ads/baili-bd177-twist-to-open-de-razor.50929/

Last edited:
...the IKON X3 slant head has muted blade feel and is a smooth, comfortable, mild/mid efficient shaver. The head retails for about GBP £30 or a "Want to Buy" post on the forum may be a good alternative to snag a bargain. You may also want to consider some of the Yaqi heads (Mellon in particular) or Baili Tech clone (both available on AliExpress for less than GBP £10 delivered) - they really are superb shavers and a steal at the price offered. The Razorock Tech clone (made by Baili I think and rebranded) and the Razorock Old Type are also excellent, mild, smooth, comfortable shavers. The blade feel on the RR Old Type is not as muted as the others but still not a screamer and it holds the blade absolutely rigid and just works very well. The Razorocks are more expensive rebrands (but usually come with SS handles) and are readily available at UK and US online vendors. Finally the Baili TTO is also very good, again slightly more blade feel but a underrated great shaver. Further info here https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...ads/baili-bd177-twist-to-open-de-razor.50929/
Hi Missoni. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it very much.

Its very much YMMV situation. The IKON X3 slant head is similar to a one of my many razors. I do get a beard reduction, but like the Gillette Tech Ball End Type, Gillette Tech Fat Handle, STAR Tech Clone, Gillette Old Type have too much of a blade feel for me, especially on my chin. After two passes (any more would be too irritable), I'd still have a patchy shave (a far cry from DFS), and 48 hours later ingrown hairs to boot!

The Yaqi Mellon Head look very similar to the PAA DOC Razor which I own. I've tried so many combinations, but ultimately got similar results with the above razors.

Using a Feather in any of the above razors was always too aggressive for my skin. Too many nicks, cuts.

I've never considered buying a razor from AliExpress, thank you.

I've not found any technical details on the Feather Popular even on Feather's website, but I suspect blade exposure in less than zero?

Please don't take umbrage Missoni. I respect anyone who takes the time to answer. I don't claim to know every razor and blade on the planet, so any help or advice is always very useful, even if it doesn't help, it may help me to think differently which is just as valuable to me.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Missoni. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it very much.

Its very much YMMV situation. The IKON X3 slant head is similar to a one of my many razors. I do get a beard reduction, but like the Gillette Tech Ball End Type, Gillette Tech Fat Handle, STAR Tech Clone, Gillette Old Type have too much of a blade feel for me, especially on my chin. After two passes (any more would be too irritable), I'd still have a patchy shave (a far cry from DFS), and 48 hours later ingrown hairs to boot!

The Yaqi Mellon Head look very similar to the PAA DOC Razor which I own. I've tried so many combinations, but ultimately got similar results with the above razors.

Using a Feather in any of the above razors was always too aggressive for my skin. Too many nicks, cuts.

I've never considered buying a razor from AliExpress, thank you.

Please don't take umbrage. I respect anyone who takes the time to answer. I don't claim to know every razor and blade on the planet, so any help or advice is always very useful. If doesn't help, it may help me to think differently which is just as valuable to me.

Many thanks.

...no problem, I understand it can take a while to find a razors that meets an individuals exact requirements and no doubt you will know when you have found "the one". Maybe also worth considering an SE if you have not already done so. I find a Gem bullet tip relatively mild but efficient and it is also gentle on the skin...

...no problem, I understand it can take a while to find a razors that meets an individuals exact requirements and no doubt you will know when you have found "the one". Maybe also worth considering an SE if you have not already done so. I find a Gem bullet tip relatively mild but efficient and it is also gentle on the skin...
Hi Missoni

Thanks for your reply.

I do have a number of SE razors and blades (not a Gem bullet tip. How does that compare to a PAA Starling Gem Razor?). On the odd special occasion I use an SE razor for a closer shave one-off, but again its subject to a proceeding week of mild shaves, and post mild shaves to mitigate serious ingrown hairs.

I've had some good experiences (not Feather blade and Feather Popular level) with Supply (Plate 2 with a Schick Injector B-20 Blade is about right for me as a first pass), and The General (haven't found the sweet spot blade yet).

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom