"Feather Artist Club" Fan Club!

The Kai Excelia looks grand, but I just googled it.
It costs HOW MUCH? :eek:

Yeah, I bought 3.

Not really!

I had to Google it myself - Is right. I didn't pay anywhere near that. I bought it from new and I think it was around £100. It was only a bit more than a Feather DX if memory serves.

They do a folding one as well, but it's no longer available and really rare.

It has a nice weight and balance to it and I get amazing shaves with a Feather Super blade.

I haven't shaved for a week and it's going to he used tonight.

One of the things I'm doing during this isolation period is trying to learn to use the FAC better. I've got a DX folder and a Chinese SS clone at the moment. Right now, if I cut myself, it doesn't matter too much.

have been a fan of these blade holders for many years (have or had different kinds such as Feather Artists (RG, DX,SS, older models) , Kai Captain and Kai Excelia, CJB, Kamisori, Sam Seong and Schick Proline.
Super feather like touch is what you need to apply. I remember that when I started using them I could get about 6 shaves out of one blade (head and face counting for one shave), that number went up to where I now change them after 20 shaves. There was a experiment among a few people on the forums where we tried to extent it for as long as possible, a month with one blade could be done and with stropping even several weeks longer, however we became bored and considering the amount of blades I have in stock I went back to 20, that's a year with one package.

Yes, got Feather and CJB and maybe a Kai though I cannot remember if I sold it or not. They are all good and the blades can last ages too as @Snuff mentioned above. Lovely to use and not as scary as a straight for newbies.

I have one of these inbound and am looking quite forward to giving it a go. It will be my first Feather Pro AC SS Kamisori.
View attachment 54092

Great news. I recieved my first Feather AC SS folding in scotch grain a few days ago. I have 2 WTG shaves under my belt. It has definitely given me an appreciation for the skill straight razor shavers have. I am concentrating on completing a single pass WTG at the moment until I can master it. My second shave was considerable better than my first (no nicks) so that's promising. I have gone straight in with the Professional Blades, in hindsight I should have corked the new blade as it felt a lot smoother on second outing, I finish the rest of the shave with my DE. It's a lovely quality razor and I'm sure you will love it, I was in two minds on whether to go folding or Kamisori, in the end I went for folding as I liked the scotch grain scales and thought it might be good for my grip technique. My aim is to build up my technique and confidence and then hopefully get my first proper straight. I didn't want to spend money on strops, refresh stone etc if it wasn't for me. So far I'm loving it. Let us know how you get on with it.

Great news. I recieved my first Feather AC SS folding in scotch grain a few days ago. I have 2 WTG shaves under my belt. It has definitely given me an appreciation for the skill straight razor shavers have. I am concentrating on completing a single pass WTG at the moment until I can master it. My second shave was considerable better than my first (no nicks) so that's promising. I have gone straight in with the Professional Blades, in hindsight I should have corked the new blade as it felt a lot smoother on second outing, I finish the rest of the shave with my DE. It's a lovely quality razor and I'm sure you will love it, I was in two minds on whether to go folding or Kamisori, in the end I went for folding as I liked the scotch grain scales and thought it might be good for my grip technique. My aim is to build up my technique and confidence and then hopefully get my first proper straight. I didn't want to spend money on strops, refresh stone etc if it wasn't for me. So far I'm loving it. Let us know how you get on with it.
Oh absolutely agree I am a DE/SE guy and have 60 plus razors but this one has been tempting me for a while now. I myself was torn between Kamisori or trad folding and decided to go Kamisori. It is a deep rabbit hole Straights! So I figured if I learned one grip for the Kamisori it would put me off (perhaps) jumping into the straight pool! We'll see. I have several different types of AC blades as I have a few AC razors so I will trial a few different kinds. If you are looking for smooth though try a Schick ProLine AC blade. They are second to none...enjoy and let me know how the shaves go...I will need some guidance for sure!! ;)

Oh absolutely agree I am a DE/SE guy and have 60 plus razors but this one has been tempting me for a while now. I myself was torn between Kamisori or trad folding and decided to go Kamisori. It is a deep rabbit hole Straights! So I figured if I learned one grip for the Kamisori it would put me off (perhaps) jumping into the straight pool! We'll see. I have several different types of AC blades as I have a few AC razors so I will trial a few different kinds. If you are looking for smooth though try a Schick ProLine AC blade. They are second to none...enjoy and let me know how the shaves go...I will need some guidance for sure!! ;)

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Schick AC blades, I shall bear them in mind. I don't think you will need my guidance as I'm only 3 shaves into my AC journey, this is my first shavette but thoroughly enjoying it so far, it's a beautifully made razor. As a side note I cut my own hair today and it was great for cleaning up my neckline. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I'm 8 shaves into my Feather Artist Club journey and thoroughly enjoying my shaves. I've not picked up my DE for a week now and I'm getting perfectly acceptable results. I'm learning something new every day but today was the biggest step yet as I altered the angle slightly which gave me a closer shave and the way I am swapping hands and grip seems to be coming more natural to me. I am not getting complacent though as one second of cockiness can lead to disaster.

One thing that I have noticed and is something I've been trying to alter slightly is my lathers. Using a DE I tend to like a nice cushiony lather similar to Cris 'Another Cut Above' but finding now a slightly wetter thinner lather works better for me using the AC.

Back
Top Bottom