Fatboy or Slim? And why?

CjH

Hey!

So I keep seeing the fatboy flashed about now and again, I have a slim, and if I had to choose out of all my 7 razors... (I don't have RAD as bad as some of you).... I'd chose the slim.
But is there a big difference in shaving with a fatboy to a slim?

One way to find out. Try a Fatboy.

To me there's not that much difference between the Fatboy and the Slim. They're both very decent razors, but the FB is rarer and therefore more sought after. Get it if you're a collector, otherwise stick with the Slim and buy another razor.

The "Black Beauty" is the same razor as the Slim, albeit the plastic cased handle. The Slim has a lower domed head than the "Fatboy" and just more ergonomic. Regardless, they all fall under the shadow of the legendary Tech. ;)

Thanks for the info BM. I was unaware of the BB being the same as the Slim.

I think Gillette Adjustables look beautiful but like yourself I am very satisfied with the shaves I get with Techs, IMO their ergonomic considerations are under appreciated as well; it's a YMMV but I find the Fat Handle/Ball End Tech to be very comfortable razor to hold/shave with.

(Sorry for the Tech diversion)

I have three black beauties, two slims and a fatboy. They are all very well made razors. It really becomes a matter of preference. There isn't much difference among them.
The Black Beauty is very similar to the Slim with a slightly heavier head feel due to the lighter (aluminum) handle. The heads are essentially identical. The aluminum used in the handle seems to be susceptible to corrosion which can eventually seize up the insides. I haven't had any corrosion issues with mine.
The fatboy does shave a little different compared to the other two, due to the taller head and thicker, shorter handle. I don't find it difficult to switch. I doubt you would be disappointed with a fatboy, they're a very nice razor. So is the Slim! Is a fatboy worth double the price of a slim? I don't think so.

Have to disagree that the BB is identical to the Slim, on the surface, yes. It most definitely doesn't shave the same. Less aggressively, perhaps due to lighter handle, anyhoo! Both are excellent shavers teamed with a good blade.

Have to disagree that the BB is identical to the Slim, on the surface, yes. It most definitely doesn't shave the same. Less aggressively, perhaps due to lighter handle, anyhoo! Both are excellent shavers teamed with a good blade.

The heads are exactly the same as are the later black handle Super-Speed models.

I've owned both and get a much better shave from my Tech.
Hugely overrated clunky lumps of metal.

Adjustables and TTOs are just sales gimmicks, so is the Toggle. A razor head should be as thin and short as possible. When it comes to shaving with a DE, bigger is never better, all that bulk just gets between you and the blade.

Melt down all the clunky razors and make more OLD, New, and Tech razors! (No Zamak cap late Techs either!)

The only place head geometry really affects the shave is under the nose and there are plenty of ways to get around that. Adjustables have their place and dialled down they're perfect for buffing if that's your thing and dialed up they can be as good as any when correctly paired, a poor workman and all that...

Back
Top Bottom