FAKE Watches

OK, so I like watches but I'm not massively rich.

Some time ago I sold my Omega Seamaster, got good money and don't regret it.

Since then I bought an old (1947) Omega (which I then sold on soon afterwards for what I paid for it) and two old Smiths watches.

Swanky Swiss watches bother me on so many levels - to the point of being imho a scam (huge mark-ups and margins, dealers have to "buy-in" at great expense, etc etc). They could retail their watches at about a third of the price and still make a profit, but people want to spend a lot to get the exclusivity.

And then there's what "Swiss" means: to be "Made In Switzerland" watches just have to have "most" of their "work" done there - so the almost completely assembled watch arrives in Switzerland where they add the rotor, polish the case, and box it up - all of which takes a Swiss "craftsman" three days at £150 per day. (The "biggest" "job" setting the regulator -- so it's not running fast or slow -- which is done by putting the watch in different positions (face up, face down, on one side then the other) and checking its accuracy, then adjusting it accordingly.) The fact that the case, movement, dial etc may all have been made in Asia in 48hrs and for £80 means that the majority of the "work" (in time and money) was done in Zurich and so, hey presto, it's a Swiss watch.

Hence this: "“It is not generally known that quite a few Swiss companies have watches assembled in China for export to North America, Asia and even Europe, where the brand name is more important that the “Swiss made” label. Such watches may consist of a Chinese case and a Chinese crystal, a Taiwan-made dial and metal bracelet and Japanese hands. If the movement is to be considered Swiss, 51% of its value must be Swiss and at least the last wheel must be added in Switzerland. Swiss watch brands without the “Swiss made” label are usually equipped with a Japanese movement. The “Swiss parts” label means that the movement is assembled in Asia using kits consisting at least partially of Swiss made components.”

More info here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made</a><!-- m -->

(Interstingly, Rolex are one of the very few genuinely Swiss makers - almost everything they do is in-house, which is quite impressive. Since Omega's been owned by Swatch their costs have gone down but they're prices have stayed the same = massive increase in profit margins.)

But for all that the some of the Swiss watches are very iconic and well-desgned (at least aesthetically).

So I joined a Replica Watch forum (RWI) to see what the price, quality and issues were like around "fakes".

(Yes, I know: there's ethical issues and this is a "real" shaving forum so why would you be interested in bogus bling. If so, stop reading now.)

Anyway, it seems a lot of the sites are scammers (well, what do you expect?) but some get good feedback.

So I went here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nicereplica.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nicereplica.com/</a><!-- m -->

And was quite taken by this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nicereplica.com/pro_detail.php?ProId=824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nicereplica.com/pro_detail.php?ProId=824</a><!-- m -->

(The Seamaster 300 is a vintage watch from the 1960's which is nice, coz Omega don't make it anymore and it was Royal Navy issue when they did)

The site gets good reviews on the rep forums and they were right: having had two genuine Omegas (though admittedly not a SM300) I can say that this is very very good. The caseback and movement give it away but they are out of sight when it's being worn - on the wrist it's identical to the real thing. Proper automatic movement too. And if you get a watch with a sapphire crystal it really will come with one - not just glass, but the proper hard stuff.

So, er, I bought it. It arrived a few days ago in absolutely flawless condition - not a scratch or mark anywhere - and so far it keeps very good time and is waterproof.

I've got it on the nylon NATO military strap that it came with but will be moving it over a 20mm brown leather strap shortly.

Anyone got any thought on this?

Re: Replica Watches

Thoughts? well i was going to do a Life of Brian analogy: Christ v Brian or a fake v real breasts one, but i've changed my mind.

If you want an Omega, you saves your money - and buys an Omega.

If you just want people to think you're the type of guy who owns an Omega - buy a fake.

So the question is why are you buying? :|

Note: although i have never bothered buying a birth razor, i did go mental and buy a birth Seamaster :?

I was told in the Pub before i paid that it was a Rolex Limited Railway Heritage Edition but i had my suspicions that something wasn't quite right ..... :?
41FcmHHH-PL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

moodymick said:
Thoughts? well i was going to do a Life of Brian analogy: Christ v Brian or a fake v real breasts one, but i've changed my mind.

If you want an Omega, you saves your money - and buys an Omega.

If you just want people to think you're the type of guy who owns an Omega - buy a fake.

So the question is why are you buying? :|

Why? Don't like many (any?) modern watches and think all Swiss ones are a rip-off. I'd buy one of Eddie Platt's Time Factor watches or any number of vintage ones but a new Omega? Nah.

Edit: I would buy a vintage Omega (birth year: 1971) but for the small matter of the ££££

Rev-O said:
Why? Don't like many (any?) modern watches and think all Swiss ones are a rip-off. I'd buy one of Eddie Platt's Time Factor watches or any number of vintage ones but a new Omega? Nah.

Edit: I would buy a vintage Omega (birth year: 1971) but for the small matter of the ££££

That is why i went vintage, i really do like the look of the modern, but the old ones just seem i don't know.....proper? real? genuine?

Also as i held a £2.5 grand one in my hands in Goldsmiths a few months ago, i just did not get a connection (well, not £2500's worth anyway), there was no soul - and at a quick glance you could pass it off at something costing £39.99 in Argos. That is not a sleight against Argos or the brands they sell, quite the opposite in fact.

This is even more applicable when you look at Breitlings, they may cost considerably more than Omega's, but they look like they came out of a christmas cracker. Nothing says Hey, i'm a cock with more money than sense than a Breitling and a Porsche Cayenne.

Back to vintage again, our local auction house that hasn't had a decent watch through it's doors in ages (auctions once a month), this week has 4 Military watches in: 2 x Smiths, a Timor & a 40's Omega. I've left cheeky bids on the Smiths - just in case. If i win both I will be murdered by my wife, but i'll leave her your address to send one to. If i only win 1, i'll get away with a flesh wound.

Assuming the Smiths are the W10 then anything under £300 is OK - although a cheeky bid might be £252 (just in case someone went for the round figure of two-and-a-half)

Vinny here might take one off your hands for <300.

Might be worth putting the same on the Omega (assuming it's a WWW with subseconds at 6 and not the ultra-desireable 1953 with centre seconds).

;)

Spot on re Breitling: vulgar bling worn by crass men who have a knack of backing into a corner and boring me for what feels like hours. And Jeremy Clarkson wears one (definition of "countryside" - killing Jeremy Clarkson)

Sort of agree as well.

I was toying with the idea of a Seamaster for a big birthday but can't justify the cost!
Also it's not really me, I like the look but not the price tag!

Still deciding between Steinhart Ocean 1

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/product-view.asp?id=14&txtsearch=&page=2

Or

Olech & Wajs Cougar 3
http://www.gnomonwatches.com/Product-view.asp?id=12

Bit off topic I know but sort of related as they all have pretty good movements, look good (IMHO) but don't break the bank!

Lots to agree with in this thread, especially Ollie's comments on the economics of the Swiss watch industry and the desirability of Eddie Platt's wares. Also, Mick is spot on about those glitzy Breitlings, guaranteed to mark one out as a wide boy at 50 paces.

Resisting the temptation wasn't easy, but the watch bug hasn't bitten me. I've spent hours drooling over Timefactors, and then got interested in Sinn and Damasko, and eventually IWC. Time to bring yourself up sharp lad, I thought, when I realised that I was seriously weighing up the idea of buying a Spitfire. So it's just the Seiko automatic for day to day and a cheapish quartz in reserve, plus one vintage watch from my dad:

Elogawatch2.jpg

He was going to chuck it due to a broken mainspring: he must be the most unsentimental man I know given that it gave him probably 40 years of service. Anyway, repaired and cleaned and with a decent strap it's now keeping quite good time, and I just love that dial, discolouring and all. Eloga is still an active brand name; their current offerings include some truly vile baubles.

moodymick said:
Arrowhead said:
Eloga is still an active brand name; their current offerings include some truly vile baubles.

Hail Mary, Mother of God!! :eek: - who the frick would buy one of those (we really need a vomit emoticon) :shock:

Like a normal watch seen while on an acid trip in a nightclub with blinding disco lights and pumping electro-euro-pop.

Just my sort of thing!

Rev-O said:
OK, so I like watches but I'm not massively rich.

So I joined a Replica Watch forum (RWI) to see what the price, quality and issues were like around "fakes".

(Yes, I know: there's ethical issues and this is a "real" shaving forum so why would you be interested in bogus bling. If so, stop reading now.)

Anyway, it seems a lot of the sites are scammers (well, what do you expect?) but some get good feedback.

So I went here:

So, er, I bought it. It arrived a few days ago in absolutely flawless condition - not a scratch or mark anywhere - and so far it keeps very good time and is waterproof.

Anyone got any thought on this?

Hi there,

Maybe 6-7 years ago I became interested in watches and joined a forum or two. There was a couple of years that I spent being sorta involved in that 'hobby', and I learned a bit about things like movements, and what watches made up the various tiers (and why).

You were smart to join a rep forum before buying one of those types of watch. Best thing in most cases is to buy from established vendors, and the members can steer you to the best ones. Buying blind online will almost always result in a sad experience.

I have no problem if someone wants to wear a knock off, depending on the reason. If a high end copy is being used to impress, then I'm not crazy about being tricked. However, some people wear fakes because they can be almost as beautiful as the real ones. Now that I can sorta understand.

What makes more sense to me is wearing a 'Hommage' of some sort. Those are made to resemble, but not duplicate certain well known watch types. They don't have names such as Rolex or Panerai on em, so there's no duplicity involved. These are made to pay tribute in a way to the real deal.

It takes looking around to find a nice hommage sometimes, and that's where the watch forums once again come in handy. Those guys are as nuts about watches as we are about 'personal hygiene'.....heh.

You're right about some reps being very well made, using good movements and sapphire crystals. Some with the display backs have the correct colored screws and some even have decorated movements like the real ones. Heh, the Panerai is an especially popular brand when it comes to that sorta tweaking.

Pesonally, if I liked the looks of those watches I'd buy a nice hommage. For example, if I wanted a beautiful watch that looked similar to a certain Panerai or the old Benrus Type 1 I could find those pretty easily. It takes a little work and research, but those watches are out there. They're very nice looking and often conversation pieces, which is why I would wear a watch. That way when someone asked me about my watch, I could tell em a bit about what it represents and why I like wearing it. I would rather not have to make excuses for wearing a knock or, nor would I care to lie about that either and say it's real if I was pinned down.

Heh, there's more to be said, but I'll just stop here to keep this post as short as possible. Congrats on finding a watch that seems to be working out well. Smart of you to do your homework.

Martin

Oh, one thing about these watches being 'waterproof': You never ever want to get those wet.

I have seen some good replicas and some really poor ones. Those you linked to certainly seem to be of the higher quality than the lucky boy Lolex's; but when you pay £100 upwards for one it starts to negate the cost advantage of a replica. The one you linked to is not too hefty in price but I seen some of them on that site at $300-$400 and at that price I would rather have a genuine Seiko. I have also seen some no name watches that look stunning, similar but not exact clones and I would not have a problem buying one of these myself.

My view on replicas is if the intention is to pass it off to everyone as a real one then it is kind of sad and pointless because as soon as it leaves your wrist someone who knows his onions will know it is a fake instantly (usually from weight and feel of how it is put together). Worse still I would know know it is a fake and that kind of dishonesty I am not good at carrying off. I guess in your line of work it is a complete no no :lol: , but as a cheap and decent looking timepiece they do the job.

If you want it go for it, no shame in it at all at least if it gets stolen/ damaged you aren't going to cry.

Rev-O said:
Assuming the Smiths are the W10 then anything under £300 is OK - although a cheeky bid might be £252 (just in case someone went for the round figure of two-and-a-half)

Vinny here might take one off your hands for <300.

Might be worth putting the same on the Omega (assuming it's a WWW with subseconds at 6 and not the ultra-desireable 1953 with centre seconds).

;)

Spot on re Breitling: vulgar bling worn by crass men who have a knack of backing into a corner and boring me for what feels like hours. And Jeremy Clarkson wears one (definition of "countryside" - killing Jeremy Clarkson)

A couple of points. Firstly, we're not talking about "replica" watches here. What we are talking about are fakes, which are illegal as they break copyright laws. Anybody buying these fakes is feeding an illegal trade, and legitimising a criminal activity. These fakes can then find their way into the secondhand market. Think how you would feel if you bought what appeared to be a genuine Omega Seamaster 300, for genuine Omega Seamaster money, to later discover that it was a forgery.

And Jeremy Clarkson has a collection of Omegas. I don't recall seeing him wearing a Breitling. And your comments about Breitling reveal a lack of knowledge of the brand - Breitling produce some of the finest aviation chronometers available, and their Avenger Seawolf in titanium is one of the best "tool watches" available today.

And yes, I am an active member of a couple of watch forums.

And I'm deeply disappointed.

If you can't afford the genuine article, don't buy an illegal copy.

Back
Top Bottom