Expensive razor vs cheaper

Roy

Has any one started with reasonably priced razor such as Edwin Jagged, and gone on to something like top of the range feather? If so, did you get a better shave, smoother and closer?

Started with a Mühle R89, been though the entire spectrum... R41, 37c, Progress, Futur, Rockwell, Feather and every damn type of vintage Gillette.

They're all interesting to try but don't go chasing better/closer/smoother shaves, that way madness lies. If you want something fancy that you can show off and feel proud of owning get an expensive one but it won't shave any better, in fact my best razors have all been the cheapest.

I believe that if you are asking questions like "are expensive razors worth the money" "do they give a better shave" then the answer is Nah! they are not made for you, as simple as that.

nick_s

Staff Member
My first DE (Merkur 39C) cost £39.99. I got some great shaves with it. My favourite DE's cost £31.99 and £55 (Muhle R41 and Merkur Futur) respectively. At the opposite end of the scale, my Gillette Tech cost me under a tenner and I get great shaves with it.

The point of what I'm saying is that great shaves are available at all price points :) Don't be fooled into parting with more money than you have to.

I have used a Merkur 34C for approximately 4 years. This year I bought a Rockwell 6S - hardly 'top of the range' given some of the prices of razors I've seen, but still significantly more expensive than the Merkur. For me, the 6S gives allows me to shave more frequently (daily), so to that end, yes, it gives me better shaves. However, I could've bought the 6C, which is far less expensive than the S.

Top Bottom