Exotic synthetic brushes?

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a synthetic brush with a more 'upmarket' handle?

I do love my synthetic brushes but in comparison to a lot of natural fibres the handles are all a bit utilitarian in appeal.

I do have a Muhle which is kind of pretty but the brush is a bit small and inefficient as far as I am concerned.

I just fancy something a bit more artisan and unique

Thanks in advance

Have you thought about getting a handle separately then your own knot?

There are a number of places you could get a more interesting handle, or even one made to order then put in your own synth knot.

Oumo seem to have an excellent selection of synth knots for not good prices, the usual types eg Tuxedo, Plissoft, etc. They don't have very many handles on their Aliexpress page but they do on the FB, if you feel like ordering via that route.

As for handles, in the June acquisitions thread there was some tasty looking ShaveMac handles.

Shavemac

I love my Fan Brush that they Made for me you can customise what you have too.

The handles on these Synthetic from Maggards are very weighty and feel nice.

Have you thought about getting a handle separately then your own knot?

I never thought about going that way but giving some serious thought. I do like the Shavemac offerings as suggested by @RussellR5555

This is going to open up a big can of worms but I do look forward to exploring the web for a mix and match approach

Thanks so far chaps and appreciated

I've asked my brother to turn me up a handle from some exotic wood to suit a MÜHLE silvertip fibre knot, but his design process/ work rate appears to be glacial. It was meant to be last year's Christmas present, somehow I doubt I'll see it for this year either.

Bespoke might be the way forward Chris, if you can find someone to do the work?

Last edited:
...I do love my synthetic brushes but in comparison to a lot of natural fibres the handles are all a bit utilitarian in appeal...

It only goes to say that most buyers of synthetics are practical people just looking for an easy to maintain brush with no break in and that works just as good as real hair if not better IMO. As a result I'd imagine most aren't really into frilly handles such as those the buyers of expensive badger brushes like. I know I an unwilling to pay Big Money for a brush. After all, who's going to see it other than you? That's like keeping a Ferrari in your garage. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you don't mind waiting you can also put yourself on the Wolf Whiskers waiting list which has lots of choice, or at the other extreme I quite like the AP Shave Co brushes on Etsy.

My Mervyn Cadman is currently my favourite though.

It only goes to say that most buyers of synthetics are practical people just looking for an easy to maintain brush with no break in and that works just as good as real hair if not better IMO. As a result I'd imagine most aren't really into frilly handles such as those the buyers of expensive badger brushes like. I know I an unwilling to pay Big Money for a brush. After all, who's going to see it other than you? That's like keeping a Ferrari in your garage. Just my 2 cents worth.

I am one of those who are synthetic all the way as I just can't get on with natural fibres. I have always said I don't understand this brush thing and I remain the same.

However I don't think that detracts from wanting something 'different'. I imagine most Ferraris actually do spend their life in garages, but it is as much about ownership than anything. Likewise with exotic razors, artisan soaps and just about anything else in life.

If I took on a 'who is going to see it other than me?' view on life I would probably live in a cardboard box and shave with a disposable and a can of shaving foam........but it would be the best cardboard box in the world and I would have a very disappointed missus. If not divorce papers served.

I just want something I can enjoy, treasure and use. Something away from the ordinary

I had a similar process about 3/4 weeks ago , I decided I wanted a Synthetic Brush that was a bit more special so I went with a Synthetic brush with a fan shaped knot (on the basis I didn't have one) I went for the lowest loft in the knot size I chose as I like to Bowl lather so wanted some stiffness to the brush. I chose the handle on the basis it was the longest one and again as I like to bowl lather it keeps the lather away from me.

The End result from Shavemac makes me smile every time I use it , all my other brushes (Which are cheaper ones) have a protruding glue bump the shave mac has no glue bump that protrudes at all, yet has the most stiffness of any brush I have owned. It the scheme of brushes it wasn't very expensive.

Of course I have a perfectly good shave with all my other brushes, but the shavemac does give me the most pleasure to use.

Thursday.jpg

I had a similar process about 3/4 weeks ago , I decided I wanted a Synthetic Brush that was a bit more special so I went with a Synthetic brush with a fan shaped knot (on the basis I didn't have one) I went for the lowest loft in the knot size I chose as I like to Bowl lather so wanted some stiffness to the brush. I chose the handle on the basis it was the longest one and again as I like to bowl lather it keeps the lather away from me.

The End result from Shavemac makes me smile every time I use it , all my other brushes (Which are cheaper ones) have a protruding glue bump the shave mac has no glue bump that protrudes at all, yet has the most stiffness of any brush I have owned. It the scheme of brushes it wasn't very expensive.

Of course I have a perfectly good shave with all my other brushes, but the shavemac does give me the most pleasure to use.

View attachment 45217

May I ask, but what razor handle is that? Very pretty and right down my street

Back
Top Bottom