Eden Kitchen Knives

Sorry...not used that make. However I did get fed up with using knives that I couldn't get a decent edge on so bought a couple of Wusthof kitchen knives. One of them was a 14cm Santuko knife...works well. Not cheap but have been fine up to now - but that's not what you asked.

But I can recommend this little tool to keep your knives sharp (providing the blade is such that it will take a good edge...I now realise not all do)
http://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-tri-angle-sharpmaker

This is what you need to (easily and accurately) put a routine sharp edge on the knife but I did also get a decent double sided whetstone to do a more radical re- shaping of the blade angle every now and again.

Sorry not to be more helpful about the Eden knife.

I've got three of the Eden range, a paring knife and the 5" and 8" chef's knives. I'm very pleased with them, they were sharp out of the box, but a run on the Sharpmaker made them extremely so and they seem to hold an edge really well. I have the Classic Damast knives, and they look lovely!

I did consider the Wusthofs, but as I'm strictly a home cook I took a punt on the Edens and am not disappointed.

I break down & butcher my own game / deer etc so I have victorinox fibrox handled boning knives etc and love them cheap but very good for job in hand

Paul

Yes, I forgot about Victorinox. And yes we do have one which takes a fine edge on the Sharpmaker, as you so correctly say.

Probably the wisest choice of them all at their prices. Our local butcher mentioned them to me...and sold me one, along with a "Dick" sharpener which, with the benefit of hindsight, was a complete waste of (a lot of) money. Very rarely use a steel now we have the sharpmaker.

Sorry...not used that make. However I did get fed up with using knives that I couldn't get a decent edge on so bought a couple of Wusthof kitchen knives. One of them was a 14cm Santuko knife...works well. Not cheap but have been fine up to now - but that's not what you asked.

But I can recommend this little tool to keep your knives sharp (providing the blade is such that it will take a good edge...I now realise not all do)
http://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-tri-angle-sharpmaker

This is what you need to (easily and accurately) put a routine sharp edge on the knife but I did also get a decent double sided whetstone to do a more radical re- shaping of the blade angle every now and again.

Sorry not to be more helpful about the Eden knife.

If you take your cooking seriously you could also take a look at the Henckels Professional range. Along with Wusthof they are at or near the top of the heap of 'traditional' chef's knives.

As mentioned above, it's important to know or learn how to keep your knives sharp, as they all will lose their edge after a while.

If you take your cooking seriously you could also take a look at the Henckels Professional range. Along with Wusthof they are at or near the top of the heap of 'traditional' chef's knives.

As mentioned above, it's important to know or learn how to keep your knives sharp, as they all will lose their edge after a while.

I've had a look but the price for what I do puts me off. I'm not a serious cook but do enjoy it, I will learn how to keep them sharp.

The outside kitchen window ledge was always the favoured sharpening tool when I was growing up. If you still have old working class houses nearby, take a look at the window ledges - you may well see where they were worn away towards the middle.

I remember the knife grinder doing his rounds with a circular stone rigged up on his bike. That was in the late 70s

Amazingly there's still a fella who comes from Plymouth and tours the streets with a van equipped with a loudspeaker and he shouts out "Knife Sharpener, Knife Sharpener!". We see (hear) him round about every six months or so.

I've got three of the Eden range, a paring knife and the 5" and 8" chef's knives. I'm very pleased with them, they were sharp out of the box, but a run on the Sharpmaker made them extremely so and they seem to hold an edge really well. I have the Classic Damast knives, and they look lovely!

I did consider the Wusthofs, but as I'm strictly a home cook I took a punt on the Edens and am not disappointed.

Hey Chris, just out of curiosity how careful have you had to be with them regarding rust spots?

I think I maybe over researching all of this but it looks as though the VG10 steel whilst very hard can be brittle? Now I'm not going to be hacking any bones but don't want to have to baby them.

Maybe I should just spend the extra £25 and get the Wusthof Classic with a sharpening steel.

VG10 is hard and therefore a little more brittle but that'll only be the core/edge and you ain't going to be using it to decapitate anybody. A sharpening steel does no such thing really, it reforms the edge badly and that's why you have to use it constantly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom