Ebay purchase - Binner or Winner...........

Well I fell upon this straight edge razor on Ebay.......... I decided that I liked the look of it and plumped for a bid and low and behold I'm a winner or am I? The razor has not arrived as yet so unsure of the complete condition, not having ever used or owned a straight edge before I thought that I would like to have a go at the weekends using a real razor, after nearly 35 odd years of safety first..........

I am hoping that I have invested fairly well and if so then I plan to get it honed (Neil Miller Strop shop has been recommended by Fido). So if there is anyone who could give me any background on the razor pictured below or indeed already owns one I would appreciate any information. If its fit for the bin please tell me, I will have to try again because I am going to straight shave at the weekends.

Paul

Attachments

• Gotta 120 1.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 375
  • Gotta 120.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 369
Looks like you gotta good 'un:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/24502-gotta-razors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forum ... azors.html</a><!-- m -->

Made by Grah & Plumacher in Solingen, germany. Great razors, but not often found in the condition yours is in - most I have seen have severe to moderate wear towards the toe. The company appears in the Solingen records between 1939 and 1983. Most of the Gotta razors I have seen (30 or more) are extra hollow ground, giving a very thin blade which probably promotes toe wear. These exra hollow ground blades shave extremely well, but require greater dexterity in use, as the blade is vey easily deformed near the cutting edge - it contours itself to the face, but if you are not used to this style you can amass a lot of "weepers" during shaving. You can test yours when you get it - if the blade deforms with the pressure of a fingernail, it is extra hollow gound. A further pointer is the etching on the blade - the extra hollow ground style is often denoted "Hamburg Ring." The real reason for the Hamburg ring name is obscure, but most people tend to agree that the blade can be plucked like the string of a musical instument and give off a ringing tone. Who knows.

Yours looks good from the pics, but before use do yourself a favour and get a loupe of between 20x and 30x and examine the edge. Any nicks, knocks, deformations etc will produce a very uncomfortable shave.
It is by no means fit for the bin - they are a classic solingen make and if in good condition make fine shavers.

Regards,
Neil

Neil thank you so much for your reply and the information that you supplied about the razor, as soon as it arrives I plan to forward it to you for honing. I will of course go through you internet site for the work to be completed.

Regards
Paul

Back
Top Bottom