Eating whilst shopping in supermarkets

Shopping in Sainsburys yesterday, there was a man in front of me with two children, they looked to be about 7 years old. I was surprisedto see that they were taking food off the shelves and either sampling them or eating them. Bananas were peeled and bitten, crisps were opened and tasted, even a prepacked sandwich was opened, a bite taken and then discarded. I thought at first that they might be taking the packaging to the till and put through but then found the rubbish that they had left. I saw the security guard looking but he took no action.

I havent seen this behaviour before, I would hope its a one-off.

Last edited:
I once knew a man who would fill up a large pick and mix bag when visiting his Tesco Extra then walk around eating them whilst doing his shopping... By the time he reached the till there was only 50 pence worth of sweets left, and that's all he would pay for. This man wasn't a scrounger or down on his luck, he was (and still is) a solicitor... Some people just don't give a f*ck.

I also know someone who works at Waitrose, the most common thefts they have to deal with are alcohol and tea bags and the thieves are usually respectable elderly women, the staff are urged not to talk about it :censored:

Shopping in Sainsburys yesterday, there was a man in front of me with two children, then looked to be about 7 years old. I was surprised that they were taking food off the shelves and either sampling them or eating them. Bananas were peeled and bitten, crisps were opened and sampled, even a prepacked sandwich was opened, a bite taken and then discarded. I thought at first that they might be taken to the till and put through but then saw the rubbish that they had left. I saw the security guard looking but he took no action.

Ive seen this many times over the years and only once did the security do anything about it!
Some people seem to think you can have a good feed whilst walking around a supermarket !
I must admit when I was a child I used to grab some sweets from the pick and mix in woolworths but because there was security always hanging around that section I took it as a challange not to get caught, I did get caught a couple of times but as I said I was only a wayward child on my own walking around woolworths!!! :) P.

I think some people have mental degrees of guilt for stealing... If it's a large company like a supermarket then they must make a lot of money so it's not so bad. If it were a charity box then they can't afford to lose any money.
Whatever the retailer the costs of stealing are passed onto the customer and so actually does affect those with less money to spend than anyone else.
The thoughtlessness and selfishness of some people always amazes me.

I used to work in retail. The amount of money that was lost due to waste and/or theft is eye watering. You would find chilled products hidden between bottles of Pepsi, frozen food placed where ever because people were too lazy to return them. When I worked the booze, I once found that £500+ of whiskey had been stolen in a single night.

I seem to recall that the store I worked at (taking into account its only a small countryside supermarket) had about £30,000 (or was it £300,000) in a short amount of time. Stores accept this and set aside a target of shrinkage. little bits of food are but a drop of water in the ocean

I worked for a Fife bakery for a while, could not believe that the business model was to throw 18, 4×4×6 foot skips of unused food every 2 days. Sometimes there was no room in skips so there was piles of trays next to skips for disposal. When the business model demands you throw about 50% of your produce there is something wrong. I would rather it was to bake so much produce and if it runs out it runs out, like when I was a lad :)

Shopping in Sainsburys yesterday, there was a man in front of me with two children, they looked to be about 7 years old. I was surprisedto see that they were taking food off the shelves and either sampling them or eating them. Bananas were peeled and bitten, crisps were opened and tasted, even a prepacked sandwich was opened, a bite taken and then discarded. I thought at first that they might be taking the packaging to the till and put through but then found the rubbish that they had left. I saw the security guard looking but he took no action.

I cannot stand this. A real pet hate of mine. Aside from the potential theft - how can people not manage to walk around a supermarket without stuffing their faces (even if they pay for it)? :mad: Surely there is some kind of social etiquette against such things. Sorry - rant over.

With major British Supermarkets charging consumers, the highest profit margins in the world, at 7%, the British consumer was held at ransom until Lidl and Aldi began to break their profit margin cartel. A few consumers who have unsavoury shopping behaviours, tasting the products and not purchasing, is small beer in comparison.

Last edited:
I cannot stand this. A real pet hate of mine. Aside from the potential theft - how can people not manage to walk around a supermarket without stuffing their faces (even if they pay for it)? :mad: Surely there is some kind of social etiquette against such things. Sorry - rant over.
Amen to that!!!

Depends on the situation - the free fruit for children is a god send when I take my daughters shopping. Turning their attention to an apple or banana for 5-10 minutes buys me (and fellow shoppers) enough calm to shop in relative peace.

I found the behaviour difficult to accept on a number of levels, the monetary loss to the supermarket, the dumping of part eaten food around the supermarket, the idea in the fathers mind that this was acceptable behaviour but, perhaps more than anything else, what sort of an example was he setting for his children - theft is OK, do what you want.

As I said, I havent seen this practice before, the worst I have seen is having bought some food, taken it home and found that someone has removed the lid and stuck their finger in to have a taste.

I found the behaviour difficult to accept on a number of levels, the monetary loss to the supermarket, the dumping of part eaten food around the supermarket, the idea in the fathers mind that this was acceptable behaviour but, perhaps more than anything else, what sort of an example was he setting for his children - theft is OK, do what you want.

As I said, I havent seen this practice before, the worst I have seen is having bought some food, taken it home and found that someone has removed the lid and stuck their finger in to have a taste.

Eeeeeeek and disgustiginginging

Another thing that piss me off! Trying and picking food with bare hands! Once I saw an Old man tasting an olive from the self-service using his fingers! Another one picked a small roll with his bare hands on the bakery section! Use the fucking tongs! Please! By the way, I just shop pastries or bread if I'm the first one on the market!

Last edited:
For information.

I have received a report asking if the language used above is appropriate. I post this as an answer and not as any kind of criticism.

The following is a quotation from the terms and conditions for the site.

"Please note that this is a social board frequented by people over the age of 18 and as such there may be content unsuitable for minors."

So no, I will not be censoring any thing on the basis of the language used. The exception to this is where such language is used in a personal context or where it pertains to discriminatory statements.

Just FYI.

Back
Top Bottom