Dovo shavette

I wanted a go at 'straight' shaving, but didnt want to get into stroping and honing so.....
With a fresh derby blade at the ready, I used the shavette for the 1st time tonight. I reckon my face is smoother than shaving with a DE, but not by much. My neck is definitely smoother, but this came at the cost of some irritation and burn. 2 passes was all I did. An hour later and its still very red. I think I must have applied some undue pressure. Perhaps a different blade might be better?
I did find it difficult to move the razor effectively around my face, nowhere near as easy as using a DE, but it was my first go, and with it being an open blade I was worried about cutting myself ( which didnt happen I am pleased to say).

So, will I use it again? Most definitely. I did enjoy using it, and the fact I didnt have to go to A & E no doubt made the experience more pleasureable! :lol:
Would I recommmend one..? well, I havent used a genuine straight, so I have no comparison. Maybe someone who has can comment on this. Certainly the cheapest way to try straight shaving?
I will continue to use a DE in general, but occasionally will whip this out and have a go.

I may have started down the path of the straight razor, but currently I am resisting ( well, my wallet is..!)

Nice work jase. I recently bought an old straight of the bay. It is going to a honemeister next week to be made shave ready. Then I just need to get on with it. :lol:

I'm quite new to this straight shaving business, and I haven't seen let alone used a Shavette, but I'll essay a couple of opinions.

Firstly, there is a difference in edge quality between a stropped straight and a factory sharpened blade. This isn't a matter of "sharpness" really (there's a thread about that can of worms below), but smoothness, and for my money this is where the straight razor really shines, and why it is so comfortable. There aren't all that many DE blades which don't irritate my skin to be honest, and that's part of why I've ended up revisiting the open razor. I suppose there's nothing to stop you stropping a Shavette blade in the spirit of experiment now I come to think about it.

Secondly, I've been careful in my selection of soap. So far I've used Mitchell's Wool Fat, Cella, Tabac and Henk's No.5 cream, all of which I consider to be particularly protective and slippery. Wool Fat wins comfortably for me: it's a very robust lather, and I feel more confident for it.

Another minor point which was touched on in SOTD this week is that a heavy razor seems to be an advantage. My Fenton 6/8 is very nearly a wedge, and it's the best part of 1/4" thick at the spine - that's a heavy razor, and I just let it do the work really. I take it the Shavette is fairly light?

The main thing of course is practice, getting the light touch combined with confidence and dexterity. I believe that you're supposed to put in 5000 hours of doing anything to master it, so ... early days ;)

Back
Top Bottom