Does an £80 Brush Really Make a Difference?

I have three brushes but all are worth less than £10 each.

I've seen prices can reach above £80.

Are the more expensive brushes really worth it?

It's worth it to the seller!

No brush is worth more than 20 bucks unless it belonged to King Gillette personally.

I'd say it is worth it to the buyer as well. If a £x00 brush will bring the user pleasure then that's all the matters, and things like high grade badger knots and custom made brush handles can have a high relative unit cost.

Whether the greater cost is worth it will depend on what your needs are as a buyer.

There is one special brush I would love to own, it would be a maple burl and resin number with cream and aquamarine resin with a synthetic knot, I have put out feelers, but it would cost somewhere in the region of £150 - £200, which is wayyyyyyyyyy beyond what I can afford on a brush, still when my lottery numbers come in..... ;)

I would also content that it can make a difference on a Synthetic too , I did try some Yaqi Brushes and they were great for the money but all the ones I had seemed by design to have a high blue bump , I have a few other higher end Synthetics (None one around the £50 Mark). They for me feel a lot better and don't have the same protruding bump.

Now I am not saying you can't have a perfectly good shave with a Yaqi or similar , just that from the ones I have tried there is a difference that I personally prefer , with the Cadman , Grizzly Bay , and Shavemac ones I have.

I don't think it matters too much, but, if one never buys a Simpson brush, you will always wonder
what premium quality and a proper badger brush are all about.
I have used many brushes in my life, and the bottom line is, I wouldn't trade my Captains
for any ten brushes. There is simply nothing that compares.

I find the cheap Razorock 400 to be a bit of a 'do everything' brush and terrific value, but the Cadman's do handle hard soaps better.

One was bought off here on the BST and an absolute bargain whereas the other I went to Cadman direct as I just fancied something with a bit more exclusivity about it. I may yet get another from Merv and go more down the custom road. Because you can.

"Does an £80 Brush Really Make a Difference?"

Synthetic? No.
Boar? No.
Badger? Yes.

Hmm.. Not sure if i agree with that.

Synthetic? No. - I have tried several cheap synthetic that are horrible.
Boar? No. - maybe.
Badger? Yes. - i agree.

A £5 brush will never be as good as a £80 brush - no matter the material. Stop fooling around :)

It's all down to personal choice, if you find a cheap brush does the job for you then great but in order to find out if an expensive brush works any better or indeed makes you feel better while you are using it you must first try both, as long as you are happy is all that matters and this goes for razors imo also.
Live and let live :) P.

Last edited:
Hmm.. Not sure if i agree with that.

Synthetic? No. - I have tried several cheap synthetic that are horrible.
Boar? No. - maybe.
Badger? Yes. - i agree.

A £5 brush will never be as good as a £80 brush - no matter the material. Stop fooling around :)

YMMV :sneaky:

My favourite brush in existence is a £10 Semogue 610 so...

If judged purely on the objective merits of build quality (for longevity) and quality of lather production (what it's made for after all) most cheap brushes are "just as good". When people start wanting particular traits such "backbone and gel tips" or "handle in the colours of my favourite sportsball team" is when the money comes in.

YMMV :sneaky:

My favourite brush in existence is a £10 Semogue 610 so...

If judged purely on the objective merits of build quality (for longevity) and quality of lather production (what it's made for after all) most cheap brushes are "just as good". When people start wanting particular traits such "backbone and gel tips" or "handle in the colours of my favourite sportsball team" is when the money comes in.
YMMV.
I have tried several totally useless brushes, in all hair types.
Semogue also makes some of my favorite brushes, so I fully understand.

Back
Top Bottom