Do purpose made shaving bowls really work better?

D

Deleted member 11172

I have been using a small ceramic bowl from Sainsburys and find that it works well.
Are purpose made shaving bowls worth it and do they really make a difference to lather?

bowlbrush.jpg

I guess it's the size that makes a difference. Mine is an old Proraso soap tub - it's a bit small but sufficient to produce enough lather for three passes - and compact enough for the bathroom cabinet. Would consider a fancy one but only if I had more space available outside the cabinet.

_DSC2302.JPG
Never seen a test of plain vs ridges but I am ok with the lather created in my plain bowl that cost me about 1 pound 50, it is also easy to keep clean, material is melamin so very light and will bounce without breaking bathroom porcelain or my toes if dropped while shaving (been there done that)

Last edited:
How many seconds would I save by switching bowl? (asking just out of curiosity, if I really was in a hurry I would not consider wetshaving at all :) )

Reactions: abj
I need to get one more melamin bowl and add ridges or bumps or something and make head to head tests :)

edit: my bowl is sold out so will have to look elsewhere

Last edited:
I shave with cream, so I cannot speak for those who use soap. I use and old bowl which some cream came in, and it works quite well. It is also plastic which means when I drop it, it won't shatter. And it means more than one use for some piece of plastic. It allows for great later--far better than a face lather.

Here's my stolen bowl, razor and brush added for scale. Perfect size for holding in your palm.

I'm sure ridges and bumps in the bowl make life a bit easier but I find smooth bowls work just fine.

20200307_201731.jpg

Back
Top Bottom