Digital switchover

Our analogue signal has gone. We are now fully digital. The result is we can no longer record. The picture stutters and stops if we record. The TV guide no longer displays anything. I have a theory here. My Father in laws guide now displays an advert. My tv guide doesn't have room for an advert and therefore displays nothing.
Bring back analogue and teletext.
I really hate this new digital age. It now seems that the powers that be can make my technology obsolete over night and that annoys me. If my wife wasn't such a tele addict I would happily throw out the telly in protest.

We've been fully digital here (on the telly at least) for nearly a year (it was last October we went) - no issues here at all, at least not that I wouldn't have had anyway (bloody wildlife eating the insulation and part of the shielding of the satellite cable which I replaced this weekend).

The behaviour of the FreeView box is very susceptible to the level of software on it - we have a Philips box that was possessed until it got updated to version 3.30 (it would switch off randomly, change channels when it wanted to...) - sounds to me more like either your aerial really isn't up to it (where analogue would give you a graceful fall off with some ghosting etc, digital just 'falls off a cliff' - I saw 3 or 4 in the biddies out the back that had that) or the equipment is faulty or failing (because it's all made down to a price in China with the cheapest everything possible, don't expect it to last 20+ years like the Sony TV you bought in 1983)

The recording device will usually have it's own tuner, if everything works fine up until you actually switch on the recorder then the signal you are receiving is not strong enough, a plug in signal booster should certainly improve things for you.

I've tried a few aerials. I've got new cabling. Preseli mast is about 15 miles away with nothing between it and me.
Everything was fine before they told us to retune. Its affected lots of people in the area in different ways.

Do the problems only start when you are recording???

I'm nearer to my transmitter than you are and I still needed to boost the signal.

If the recorder has a UHF output, check it's not on these channel numbers: 46, 42, 50, 45, 49, 43, 30 - or within 1 of them - so not 29-30-31, 41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51 - if it is then it will likely be generating interference... either disable the UHF output and go SCART (the modern solution) or move it somewhere well out of the way - channel 21 or 68.

The retune has involved a change in the way the digital channels are encoded (previously it was 16QAM, now it's 64QAM and 8 times more susceptible to interference as a result of that)

Back
Top Bottom