Did I Break my Brush

So I have a few questions, and I'm beginning to think I've been dim lol.

1: I wonder if I've destroyed my Badger, so here is the thing I was watching a video and I remembered the video saying they held the soap upside down in order to get the soap down deep into the bristles.

Now this is possibly where I messed up in order to get the soap deeper into the brush, I started to press harder when loading the soap.

So well I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but I feel like my brush has gone more limp and now splays out more when dry.

If so have damaged it, is it recoverable?

I think this brush has always lost 1 or two hairs per shave but I keep thinking I see more? Is this normal.

2: Switching to my Wilkinson sword, I don't know what it is about this brush but it just doesn't feel like it's loading soap well, is this a technique issue, or do I just need to break it in?

I'm worried it's loosing bristles too, but they could be the Badger ones I'm seeing again lol.

3: My synthetics, these just don't seem to bowl lather well lathering on the face, does anyone else find this?

Hi Steve, my two cents below:

1) Badger brushes bloom with use and this is normal. The 'rigidity' will come from the density of the knot and hair type (2 band as an example). If you have a standard silvertip, best or pure, the backbone will be less. I wouldn't worry about 1-2 hair loss each shave.

2) Your Wilkinson brush is a boar so is quite literally a different animal. The characteristics of these are different. There's some good info here somewhere on how to get the best out of a boar. These brushes take a little longer to break in than badgers.

Edit: Typo

3) I can't bowl lather to save my life.

Last edited:
I gave up Badger brushes a long time ago, maybe I bought the wrong ones' in the first place, but they always seemed to be "limp" things to me.......I now use Boar bristled ones exclusively...Yes they take a while longer to break in, and they're a bit smelly at the start, but are more rewarding to me lather wise, good spring in the bristles even three or four years down the line...And if it concerns you, boar is more ethical than Chinese badger.....

Don't concern yourself too much about losing the odd bristle or two...bristle loss could go on for quite awhile...an odd one or two here and there...they settle down eventually, when they've shed all there is to shed...

And like everything else, they're at their very finest just before they're worn out.

1: I wonder if I've destroyed my Badger, so here is the thing I was watching a video and I remembered the video saying they held the soap upside down in order to get the soap down deep into the bristles.

Now this is possibly where I messed up in order to get the soap deeper into the brush, I started to press harder when loading the soap.

So well I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but I feel like my brush has gone more limp and now splays out more when dry.

I think this brush has always lost 1 or two hairs per shave but I keep thinking I see more? Is this normal.

2: Switching to my Wilkinson sword, I don't know what it is about this brush but it just doesn't feel like it's loading soap well, is this a technique issue, or do I just need to break it in?

I'm worried it's loosing bristles too, but they could be the Badger ones I'm seeing again lol.

3: My synthetics, these just don't seem to bowl lather well lathering on the face, does anyone else find this?

I use synthetics exclusively. Although a face latherer 90% of the time, I do like to use my bowls to keep the skills up. Have a look at your hydration technique; too little water can result in a clumpy lather that can drag loose bristles with it.

As for getting the soap deep into the bristles, I don't buy into this holding the soap upside down. Nor do I subscribe to this ‘...load it like you hate it...' ethos. That's a sure way to lose bristles. For me, a damp synthetic brush, with excess water gently squeezed out and swirling the tips of the brush 20-30 times in the soap gives me sufficient lather for 3 passes and plenty more to rub over my face, checking for any areas that need touching up.

This is God's way of saying that you need to buy a new shaving brush (yippee!).

Previously I used a Kent silvertip badger brush but got fed up with it shedding and also (like you) it seemed a bit sparse & had seen better days. That's what I told the wife, anyway.

I bought an extra large Edwin Jagger shaving brush from the English Saving Company that I am loving - the silvertip badger hairs are nice and dense and you simply won't need to grind them into the shaving soap. It's got a very full, chubby (oh stop it), knot.

(£117 for the extra large - worth every penny. Buy cheap, buy twice, etc.)

Soak brush in warm water - single shake, gently swirl over shaving soup, lather up. Finish post shave by leaving a final layer of cream on face. Rinse brush in cold water - shake vigorously. Done.
- No elbow grease or brute force required, honest.

I also have a synthetic shaving brush tat I take with me when I travel, but it does not have the "give" that I really appreciate with the silvertip badger. To each his own, though.

Holding the soap upside down is actually for creams and not hard pucks. This is done to prevent getting too much water into the cream and changing its consistency. That is primarily done with boar brushes since you are not squeezing the water out and the brush for bowl lathering and the brush holds a lot of water. It doesn't hold onto the water as good as badger, so water seeps into the cream. Turning the cream container upside down will prevent that.
if you want backbone get a two band badger with lower loft.
For a value/quality you can look at Zenith Manchurian badger brushes...

Holding the soap upside down is actually for creams and not hard pucks. This is done to prevent getting too much water into the cream and changing its consistency. That is primarily done with boar brushes since you are not squeezing the water out and the brush for bowl lathering and the brush holds a lot of water. It doesn't hold onto the water as good as badger, so water seeps into the cream. Turning the cream container upside down will prevent that.
if you want backbone get a two band badger with lower loft.
For a value/quality you can look at Zenith Manchurian badger brushes...
Or get a synthetic and avoid issues of shedding altogether. No need for this upside down stuff.

Or get a synthetic and avoid issues of shedding altogether. No need for this upside down stuff.

Hehe. I just got a synthetic RR plissoft and let me tell you. It might very well be my favourite the way it lathers and feels on the face. I might be a convert. Considering it costs 12 bucks, I'd say it is a great bang for your buck...

Few years ago I used a Body Shop synthetic and was disappointed. That's why I got few boars and a couple of badgers. The synthetic is the best feeling and the best lathering brush for me so far..

Hehe. I just got a synthetic RR plissoft and let me tell you. It might very well be my favourite the way it lathers and feels on the face. I might be a convert. Considering it costs 12 bucks, I'd say it is a great bang for your buck...
They are great brushes, imo. I use a RazoRock Plissoft too; along with a BC Silvertip synth 24mm and the 22mm ‘Disrupter' :)

I don't know the other two. I am just getting my feet wet. I really like the looks of the new Omega Evo, but good God. I can buy a badger for that price.. (Not sure I want to anymore).

Steve if you don't like the splay too much you can put it in the cardboard tube that holds toilet paper and dry your brush. It will not bloom much and will be almost like new afterwards. I would wash the brush with warm water and a little bit of shampoo first. Just don't go overboard so you don't damage any of the bristles...

Back
Top Bottom