Did blades last longer in the 1960s?

I'm watching some old commercials for blades. They all seem to promise 10+ comfortable shaves.
Are modern blades significantly different? Do they sacrifice durability for comfort and sharpness?

I'm watching some old commercials for blades. They all seem to promise 10+ comfortable shaves.
Are modern blades significantly different? Do they sacrifice durability for comfort and sharpness?
All blades can give 10+ shaves, just that in most instances the shave after 5+ uses would be inefficient and uncomfortable.

A few golden era blades from the 1970's and 80's such as the Wilkinson Light Brigade and Personna 74 can however deliver.

These high end blades were more expensive to manufacture however, which doesn't work in the main volume markets for DE blades such as India which are primarily driven by cost

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Modern blades easily go 10+ shaves, most don't even smooth out until the 5th shave. German Wilkinson Swords are longest lasting for me, I've gotten three months out of one before, Russian blades, which are great blades, are on the other end of the spectrum, good for only 15 or 20.

Modern blades easily go 10+ shaves, most don't even smooth out until the 5th shave. German Wilkinson Swords are longest lasting for me, I've gotten three months out of one before, Russian blades, which are great blades, are on the other end of the spectrum, good for only 15 or 20.

10+ shaves? I'm lucky if I get 3 and with a feather blade I only get 1!

I don't go in for the longevity testing of a blade. I change them after 3 shaves. Don't get the point of pushing a blade to its limit to save a few pence and in doing so making a mess of your face. Even the more expensive blades are dirt cheap compared to packs of cartridges.
+2

False economy

Current blades - 3 shaves (except Gillette Goal which is good for 4)

NOS - 3 to 10 shaves depending on specific type

All of the above established by prior testing myself

Last edited:
I find that modern blades last on average for about 10 shaves, vintage maybe slightly longer (skewed by those last-forever-Personna-74 blades)

Oh, sorry... you are talking about DE blades...
I dump those after one or two shaves max on the few occasions I use them.

SCNR

I don't go in for the longevity testing of a blade. I change them after 3 shaves. Don't get the point of pushing a blade to its limit to save a few pence and in doing so making a mess of your face. Even the more expensive blades are dirt cheap compared to packs of cartridges.

But why bother changing a blade that's still doing it's job?

AehG6Kg.jpg

Blades are far cheaper today as the cost of manufacturing has been reduced as with many things. The Personna 74 was a great blade, BUT it was more expensive than contemporary blades and back in the day there was less disposable income than today and as well most men then were not prissy Nancy boys who chatted with their buddies about "post shave feel" and the scent of a shave soap. ;) :D

AehG6Kg.jpg

Blades are far cheaper today as the cost of manufacturing has been reduced as with many things. The Personna 74 was a great blade, BUT it was more expensive than contemporary blades and back in the day there was less disposable income than today and as well most men then were not prissy Nancy boys who chatted with their buddies about "post shave feel" and the scent of a shave soap. ;):D

Yep, I don't remember any conversations about personal hygiene, just hot chicks and hot cars. :cool: :p

Back
Top Bottom