did anyone else watch this

Ive been quite for a few days sorry.

Shop opens tomorrow, been a really busy week!

did anyone watch this little set of goodies?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120471764039&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT</a><!-- m -->

Here is the translation

'It is a collection of barber items from a Wehrmacht (2.WW Army) barber. Several brushes, razors, boxes, a box to create lather, a cigarette box with sunlight soap, plus various other items including a letter dating 1943 indicating that the child is not his.'

fozz77 said:
Very nice Millay. What are the magnifying glass & the glove for? :roll:

hmmm, i wouldnt like to say, what is more interesting is the peice of paper explaining that the child isnt his... (dont ask i will no more when i receive it)

Good score Millay.

Slightly troubling provenance, though . . . I had relatives who went to the Camps and there's boxes of stuff like this that was confiscated . . . .

Post some better pics when it arrives. A couple of those brushes look really lovely.

More please!

Rev-O said:
Good score Millay.

Slightly troubling provenance, though . . . I had relatives who went to the Camps and there's boxes of stuff like this that was confiscated . . . .

Post some better pics when it arrives. A couple of those brushes look really lovely.

More please!

Hi Yes I agree about the provenance, i hope the brushes will all be german made, the documentation might give me some more info. and yes some of the brushes do look nice.

I will do a little photo essay when it all arrives (still awaiting payment details)

Even if German made they might have been Jewish (or Communist, gay, dissent, etc) owned.

Still looking forward to the pictures, though.

Rev-O said:
Even if German made they might have been Jewish (or Communist, gay, dissent, etc) owned.

Yes you are obviously correct. Something I never thought of whilst bidding on them, They look a bit new old stock and possibly they belonged to a barber from what the translation says.

but if they do have this rather unfortunate past, what should we do with them?

Personally im stuck on a morale issue, of they should either be binned or moved on as nice items and the past of them being remembered. Similar to the collection of old ivory.

Seem a shame to bin them. "Use them and love them" would be my answer, but maybe that's just because I want them!

Post up the pics when they arrive.

They look like they are mainly bristle brushes, the handles look fab though. Can't tell what razors they are.

Do you think joe public would be interested in 2nd hand brushes NOS or not? I don't know. They are excellent display items nonetheless.

I would keep some for youreself maybe reknot a few with badger hair.

Pictures please. Some look like early Omega brushes but I don't think they've been making brushes for that long.

Millay said:
Rev-O said:

Yes you are obviously correct. Something I never thought of whilst bidding on them, They look a bit new old stock and possibly they belonged to a barber from what the translation says.

but if they do have this rather unfortunate past, what should we do with them?

Personally im stuck on a morale issue, of they should either be binned or moved on as nice items and the past of them being remembered. Similar to the collection of old ivory.

The past is the past. Gone.
The only thing these things can do now is give someone some pleasure. You, in selling them. And the buyer who wants them and has some fun in using them. Bin them and you add to environmental problems. No contest.

Fido said:
The past is the past. Gone.
The only thing these things can do now is give someone some pleasure. You, in selling them. And the buyer who wants them and has some fun in using them. Bin them and you add to environmental problems. No contest.

Yes, I think I agree with Fido on this. They may have a sorry past, but at least now someone can get pleasure out of these items. I suppose a comparison might be with ivory. My Dad's piano has ivory keys, but why get rid of them because of where they came from?

My grandad's brother (Great Uncle Oscar) was sent to Belsen and amazingly survived.

After the war he's had enough of Europe and went to live in America (like many Norwegians in the 19th and 20th centuries)

There he was hounded and persecuted for being gay and a very active trade union organiser.

Sad but true.

So send me that badger brush with the clear amber handle. Thanks.

antdad said:
They look like they are mainly bristle brushes, the handles look fab though. Can't tell what razors they are.

Do you think joe public would be interested in 2nd hand brushes NOS or not? I don't know. They are excellent display items nonetheless.

I would keep some for youreself maybe reknot a few with badger hair.

Pictures please. Some look like early Omega brushes but I don't think they've been making brushes for that long.

Im not entirly sure about what joe public likes, thats kinda an experiment im doing, but I have had a lot of interest from people who i would never have expected, it appears that brushes and soap are more popular for a lot of people even if they dont use a DE.

I will post lots of pictures when they arrive next week sometime i hope.

Back
Top Bottom