Derby dead after 1 shave

Yesterdays shave was 2 days worth of stubble. I have extremely coarse hair so I guess it is tough on blades. I put in a new blade (Derby) just for the shave yesterday. It took 4 passes to get a reasonable shave that I was happy with.

I used the same blade again today and the shave was horrible. I did 3 passes plus some localised cleanup and afterwards my skin was raw and bleeding in several places. I should have stopped when the shave felt uncomfortable, but I couldn't believe a blade would only last one shave. I assumed my technique was off and proceeded more carefully. It made no difference.

So it would seem I managed to blunt a Derby in a single use.

I don't think I will be buying them again. A lot of people talk of a blunter blade being safer for newbies, but I have never cut myself with a fresh blade. It is only the blunt ones that make me bleed. The Crystal Super Platinums have been my favourites so far.

Since sharper seems to be safer in my case I am seriously considering trying out Feathers.

Not sure mate, I have had some blades packs that differ from blade to blade but Derbys have always been consistent for me, I think they are mediocre but at at least they are consistently mediocre. I use them when working away for one or two nights and am then not afraid to bin them after one or two shaves.

This might not be what you want to do but you probably need to try another and see if the second shave is as poor, if it is don't continue, you then know they don't suit you.

At least that's how I do it.

Hey Audiolab this could be new CONUK... we could create a sub-group, slag off Derby blades and maybe we get banned and setup a new forum elsewhere.

PS: does boab like Derbys ????

When I first started DE shaving, I used Derbys, as they seemed to be a popular, middle-of-the-road blade.

Only after I had used a Gillette Swede, did I realise my error.

Like other things, some love them, but I can't use them.

Ian

I bought 100 Derby blades a while back without trying them beforehand. First impressions were bad, but I shaved my way through the bulk of the 100 and in the end got used to them.
1st shave was rough, 2nd shave ok, 3rd shave not worth the bother.

They performed better in the Futur than in my HD.

I won't be buying them again, I'm on the Feathers now, and haven't looked back.

Back
Top Bottom