DE Shaving Kit for a 17 Year old...

Greetings TSR.

My nephew's been shaving for a few years and he's been telling my sister he absolutely hates it. His razor of choice is his father's one, a Gillette Fusion 5 blade whatever or something and he finds shaving with such a razor to be on the painful side of things, and tbh I'm not sure whether it's down to his face or the razor itself. I spoke to my sister and suggested making a DE based shaving kit for my nephew and even if he didn't use the razor itself I reckon the other items.
So far, I've got the following items either in my possession or I ear marked for purchase at sometime soon and they include

Pre - Soap Free Face Wash
Brush - Yaqi 22mm Tuxedo
Soap - Palmolive Cream
Bowl - Collapsible dog water bowl
Post - Witch Hazel/Alum Block
Blades - Voskhod/Astra SP/Shark SS
Splash - Benjamins Bay Rum Mentholated
Razor - ?

The main blank I am drawing is the razor. So far, I have a few different routes I'm exploring. The razor has to be new, as my sister is a little OCD with cleanliness/hygiene/2nd hand things at the best of times (not a trait I share with her!).

DE89
I've not used a DE89 style head aside from a cheap wonky copy I bought from Ebay, and for a beginner the problem with such a head is that the top cap is a bit on the bigger side of things, and can be a bit tricky to shave under the nose and there's the zamak issues.

Tech Clone
I'm a Tech fan and I find it's a nice mild head for daily shaving, but the down side seem to be unless the user dials in the right angle, and would this be a little too difficult for a 17 year old with very little interest in shaving to do so? The main Tech clone is the Baili one with covered blade ends, BT171 I think?

Gillette clone style TTO's
This is another realm I've been considering, but I know absolutely nothing about. The 2 ones I've been considering is the Baili one the BR179, and the Wilkinson Sword one. This would be my preferred option, as much as I love my nephew he's a master at losing things, and a 1 piece razor with no parts to lose would be an improvement on a 3 part razor. I've not used either the Baili or the WS one, would they be a good first razor?

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any recommendations for the options I have explored or anything else?

Thanks greatly.

Greetings TSR.

My nephew's been shaving for a few years and he's been telling my sister he absolutely hates it. His razor of choice is his father's one, a Gillette Fusion 5 blade whatever or something and he finds shaving with such a razor to be on the painful side of things, and tbh I'm not sure whether it's down to his face or the razor itself. I spoke to my sister and suggested making a DE based shaving kit for my nephew and even if he didn't use the razor itself I reckon the other items.
So far, I've got the following items either in my possession or I ear marked for purchase at sometime soon and they include

Brush - Yaqi 22mm Tuxedo
Soap - Palmolive Cream
Razor - ?

The main blank I am drawing is the razor. So far, I have a few different routes I'm exploring. The razor has to be new, as my sister is a little OCD with cleanliness/hygiene/2nd hand things at the best of times (not a trait I share with her!).

DE89
I've not used a DE89 style head aside from a cheap wonky copy I bought from Ebay, and for a beginner the problem with such a head is that the top cap is a bit on the bigger side of things, and can be a bit tricky to shave under the nose and there's the zamak issues.

Tech Clone
I'm a Tech fan and I find it's a nice mild head for daily shaving, but the down side seem to be unless the user dials in the right angle, and would this be a little too difficult for a 17 year old with very little interest in shaving to do so? The main Tech clone is the Baili one with covered blade ends, BT171 I think?

This is another realm I've been considering, but I know absolutely nothing about. The 2 ones I've been considering is the Baili one the BR179, and the Wilkinson Sword one. This would be my preferred option, as much as I love my nephew he's a master at losing things, and a 1 piece razor with no parts to lose would be an improvement on a 3 part razor. I've not used either the Baili or the WS one, would they be a good first razor?

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any recommendations for the options I have explored or anything else?

Thanks greatly.
What about the new KC Gillette DE? Brand familiarisation may help him initially.

something with a low profile head would be my thinking if he's been used to a cart, the Tech clone sounds like a good choice. P

Or could just try a Mach three and make sure he knows when to change the head!

Last edited:
That's a great idea, he'll thank you for it in about a decade!! My first razor was an EJ89 and I don't think you can go wrong for the price. Simple, well made, seems to work well with a whole variety of blades. Even since "graduating" to other razors I still find myself coming back to this one surprisingly often. I'm certain he'll get the hang of it.

I started with the EJ89 a few years back and its a lovely razor, but i have found its not the most forgiving compared to others i tried.

I know a lot of people say its very mild, but that has not been my experience - my Merkur 20c (same head as 34c) is always smoother and more forgiving of mistakes (in my hands anyhow)

I have the Feather popular and its very mild, but i find the angle is quite tricky to maintain.

For a beginner to try DE shaving, i can completely recommend the plastic Wilkinson Sword DE for just £5. Its very mild and easy to use and seems to be still available at Boots

Since you're inclined to get one of the clones, you might as well get the "Amazon Brand Solimo Double edge classic razor with 100 blades". I'm not sure how good the blades are, but this way, you could give him other blades and let him find out which ones he prefers.
The razor is quite decent, a Baili BD279L rebrand. Needs a bit of WD40 occasionally, but I found most TTOs do. The handle could be grippier, but as a first DE, it ticks a lot of boxes.
Or maybe get him the aluminium Lupo. Perhaps in silver, as it wouldn't have its coating rubbing off and it could be his endgame. :)

Personally I love the 89 heads and reckon they are great for starters and experienced alike. I have a young 22 year old works on my tug and I was rather surprised he has always used an 89 DE and doesn't know anything else. At least he got off on the right foot

If your nephew can stand a slightly and lightly used razor I would be more than happy to donate an 89 on a nice handle if it was to go to a good cause. I could throw in some Feather and Polsilver Lodz blades which are absolutely perfect for this particular razor. I've never had any issues with either the top cap or the Zamac. he probably just needs a bit of education and I am sure a well found shaver like yourself can provide that. Thank fuck I only have granddaughters where all I have to teach them is how to cheat in board games. Just send me a PM.

I have been shown some wonderful senses of generosity recently and I would love to give the same back elsewhere.

Bay Rum for a kid? Forget it, I'd find a more modern scent and if you dump ten assorted alien shaving products in his lap don't be surprised if he's rather overwhelmed, becomes disinterested and not the adopter you hoped. Slowly, slowly....I'd cut that list in half to begin with (no prewash, alum or even a scent) and not over complicate things to start by worrying what razor/blade combo to get.

He's seventeen not forty-five so hasn't suffered a lifetime of bad shaves yet. Just get him lathering with a brush, a good cream (Palmolive is a good staple but something in a pot with a more luxurious modern scent will feel more special) and some witch hazel post shave and point him to some youtube videos and that should improve his shave ten fold. That's two consumables and a brush to get to grips while trying to improve his technique with a cartridge, if he bites and likes the results then you're in like Flynn and you can then introduce the idea of using a different razor like a DE.

Your're assuming what works for you will work for him, it may not so improve your odds of a successful conversion by not introducing too many concepts and too much stuff too quickly. ATB

Last edited:
Greetings TSR.

Brush - Yaqi 22mm Tuxedo
Soap - Palmolive Cream
Razor - ?

DE89

Tech Clone

Thanks greatly.

For a razor, I would recommend the Colonial Silversmith - a very decent daily shaver - mild and efficient - feels special in the hand - easy to find the angle; or the good old 34C.

I wish I started DE at 17!

Thanks to all those who replied,

@Boycie83 @Drew71
The King Gillette looks like a great recommendation, I think having Gillette on the razor could inspire a little more faith in the product for an outsider.

@Sabre
Fairly sure the WS is a Weishi?

@Blademonkey
The low profile head is a good suggestion. A really good suggestion about the Mach 3 as well.

@Northam Saint
Good to hear your lad's enjoying his early days into this hobby! How does he find using Stirling for building a lather? I read on the 'other' forum a few had struggles with getting Stirling to lather up.

@Zorro
Interesting that you had some problems with the DE89 style head, I myself have also had a few gripes with heads of such a size irrespective of how mild/efficient they might be. Along the lines of the Merkur, their OC style head I've used is incredibly mild (the Yaqi clone of it) and I need to revisit it if it was as mild as I remember it to be.

@slapo
Thanks for the info about the Solimo razor. I think the blades are the same ones as the Personna Tomy, good to know it's a good razor and it's a Baili one. It's one I have considered, as the longer handle could appeal to my nephew as he has quite large hands.

@Satanfriendly
Thanks for the very generous offer for the 89, I will send you a PM! I was planning to explain to him how to use the razor and building a lather.

@antdad
I think you might have a great point, too much kit and he'll get disinterested.
The pre wash was down to he has a bit of acne, and my sister seems to nag him about washing his face with a facial scrub or something, and I thinking of using this opportunity to get him a face wash product, but again I think you might be spot on. I will keep the kit to as few items as possible, and if he does an express an interest I will gift him additional things as it goes on. He already uses a few things I gave his dad, the Proraso/Floid splash, and the Nivea 2 Phase lotion I gave him at Christmas.
What cream would you recommend?

@Ferry-shave
Thanks for the recommendation, but a SS razor is a bit out of my budget!

My son, aged 17, has been using a pre-WW2 Gillette Tech I gave him and really likes it. He finds it effective and not too aggressive, and also thinks it's cool to be using something even older than his dad. He's tried my Feather ASD2, which he found a bit tricky to get a good shave out of, and an ATT R2, which he said felt rough. The Tech seems to strike just the right balance.
As for brushes, I gave him an oldish Whipped Dog badger brush which he seems to get on well with, although I let him use an M&F Blonde badger on one occasion and he has since been dropping heavy hints he would like me to give him that, too ( he must be joking).

My son, aged 17, has been using a pre-WW2 Gillette Tech I gave him and really likes it. He finds it effective and not too aggressive, and also thinks it's cool to be using something even older than his dad. He's tried my Feather ASD2, which he found a bit tricky to get a good shave out of, and an ATT R2, which he said felt rough. The Tech seems to strike just the right balance.
As for brushes, I gave him an oldish Whipped Dog badger brush which he seems to get on well with, although I let him use an M&F Blonde badger on one occasion and he has since been dropping heavy hints he would like me to give him that, too ( he must be joking).
M&F brush for birthday/Christmas? Lol.

Back
Top Bottom