Dating A Kropp Razor

I've recently bought my first straight razor, a Kropp, so as a naturally curious chap I decided to do a bit of investigation into the brand with an idea to being able to perhaps find an approximate date for my razor.

So here is what I found out...enjoy!

Well the first thing I discovered is there is a distinct lack of information about the brand, finding any primary sources was a bit tricky and a lot of what non primary information is contradictory, so some of what follows is intelligent, well, guess work!

Well, from what I've found there are three distinct generations, as it were, of Kropp, ones with 'Made In Hamburg' on the reverse of the tang, those with 'Made In England Ground In Hamburg' and finally 'Made And Ground In Sheffield. Eng,'. This set me thinking that maybe this was a way of dating them. Looking at advertising from various period sources I was then able to find corresponding trends in the ads.

In the earliest adverts 1888 – 1896 they mention “Real German Hollow Ground”, the only mention of England was in the address of the wholesaler. Then after 1897 England or more specifically Sheffield starts to take equal billing, being mentioned in the main body copy of the advert, along with the continued mentioning of “German Hollow Ground”. This joint billing, as it were, continues until 1910 where on at least one ad from that year the mention of Germany was dropped, this might be due to changes in attitude towards Germany at the time perhaps. Other ads from 1910 did indeed still have the German connection so maybe this was a change over year.

Unfortunately I've so far been unable to find any Kropp adverts dating from 1911-1921, however they reappear in 1922, proudly stating “All British”. All future adverts continue this very British feel including a 1936 example that states, “The Navy of to-day's alright with the Kropp razor”, patriotic stuff that makes me believe they were very unlikely to have their razors of that period marked in any way other than in a similar manner.

Now I don't know if the Germany was dropped from the ads as it was less of a selling point in the period leading up to the First World War or if during this same period the razors were no longer being ground in Hamburg, but what does seem clear is that after 1922 the razors were sold heavily on being all British, so logic would follow that the ones marked “Made and Ground In Sheffield. Eng,” were likely to hail from this period.

So to sum up, I believe the three generations are as such….

1888-1896 Ground in Hamburg
1897-1910 (approx.) Made In England Ground In Hamburg
1919 (approx.)-1940 (approx.) Made And Ground In Sheffield. Eng,

As an aside, The Madrid Agreement of 1891 came into force in 1892 and meant that razors made after this date would not only have the town of manufacture but also the country of origin on them, so we can deduce that the early “Ground in Hamburg” blades pre this agreement. So this dates them to between 1888 and 1891.

During my searching I have discovered an earlier reference to Kropp razors in the October 1887 edition of the American newspaper “The Sun”, which references a gentleman by the name of Mr. Henry Gilsey returning from a European trip with a box of Kropp razors as a present for a friend. The logical conclusion is that they predate the first 1888 ad I was able to find.

That's it for now, off for more research!

Better post some of the ads I guess!!

Advert from 1888

1897 and the first mention of Sheffield.

The 1910 No Germany Advert

And the 1936 Navy Advert

ajh101 said:
Excellent detective work sir!

Thanks, it's certainly keeping me busy!

I think there may be some confusion here with 'Real German Hollow Ground'- I believe this refers to ground in the fashion of. Consequently I think you're assumption that the early models were made in Germany is wrong and that they were made in Sheffield.

This is a really thought provoking thread.

However, as far as I recall, anti-German sentiment did not really flare up until the outbreak of war and the German attack on 'brave little Belgium'. Prior to that, things German were very fashionable.

I can see Robs' point about the German style of grinding, in the way that some bits of chicken are marketed as "Southern Fried", meaning done in the style of the deep South (USA not Surrey).

I'm sure that I've got a razor somewhere called the Hamburg Ring, which was made and ground in Sheffield.

Thoughts?

I'm on holiday at the moment so the network is very slow at the hotel - however I think the clue is in the last advert - Osbourne, Garrett & Co, were I believe the owners of the Kropp and other makes. Trying a search for that name may turn up some more information.[/b]

UKRob said:
I think there may be some confusion here with 'Real German Hollow Ground'- I believe this refers to ground in the fashion of. Consequently I think you're assumption that the early models were made in Germany is wrong and that they were made in Sheffield.

No Rob, I am afraid it does not mean that. It means the english made blanks were sent to Germany to be ground, chiefly because it was cheaper to have done over there.

Obviously the Great War made that difficult, more for the fact that it was not the 'done thing' to have commercial relations with the enemy. Anti German sentiment didnt play a large part, especially by WW2 as all the grinding work was carried out by Charlie Myers of C. Myers & Son in Athol Road, Sheffield before the war had even begun.

For a fuller story and the history of Myers and the change of name to the Kropp Manufacturing Co, see my post in reply to Hippo's on SRD - http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/110252-dating-kropp.html

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom