Curious detail on this Gillette Tech

ACtC-3enuQKwTfVuK8cXv_ylahSiPFAOq78V4fXEk2voav4EMFBAafWi2ArlmE_gE_1jgNEpXuOnbRmmXaLEZWb06GHskS-faU5iO3oJYKJN-bQQkIldlgg9bEGu9lsjf4jf57BsbhI0Ld2jznCeYDiNoh-_JA=s1200

Can you spot it?

Get out your flat bottom Techs (coz they make the shavin' world go round?) and compare. In fact, get out your flat bottom New razors as well ... and compare.

If you also have one like this, then it's obviously a thing. I scoured pictures on the internet and particularly Mr Razor's website, but cannot find this detail. I'll reveal, naturally, but let's see if anyone can spot it.

ACtC-3enuQKwTfVuK8cXv_ylahSiPFAOq78V4fXEk2voav4EMFBAafWi2ArlmE_gE_1jgNEpXuOnbRmmXaLEZWb06GHskS-faU5iO3oJYKJN-bQQkIldlgg9bEGu9lsjf4jf57BsbhI0Ld2jznCeYDiNoh-_JA=s1200

Can you spot it?

Get out your flat bottom Techs (coz they make the shavin' world go round?) and compare. In fact, get out your flat bottom New razors as well ... and compare.

If you also have one like this, then it's obviously a thing. I scoured pictures on the internet and particularly Mr Razor's website, but cannot find this detail. I'll reveal, naturally, but let's see if anyone can spot it.
The only thing I can see that is different from my two is that the stamping is on the other side of the bottom of the base plate. :) P.

Check out the big brain on Brett!

That's it! That's correct. That stamping is on the lower half as per ever New I have (and can find) and unlike every other Tech that I have (or can find) with the flat bottom. The diamond and Made in England stamp can be found on the lower half on the later diamond base Techs. I wonder if this is a run-out Tech? The handle is often found with short/bias pin New razors which are from the end of the period.

Curious, innit?

Check out the big brain on Brett!

That's it! That's correct. That stamping is on the lower half as per ever New I have (and can find) and unlike every other Tech that I have (or can find) with the flat bottom. The diamond and Made in England stamp can be found on the lower half on the later diamond base Techs. I wonder if this is a run-out Tech? The handle is often found with short/bias pin New razors which are from the end of the period.

Curious, innit?
It is curious yes! I like the handle too, looks better than my fat handle! :) want to swap? :cool: P.

Haha! I'm going to guess it came on that handle ... dunno, though.

I'm waiting on delivery of a couple of New razors with that handle - it's a single piece equivalent of the #77 which had a spinning end. Yeah, it's nice but feels a bit short and somehow a little too thin. Maybe it's the short length of knurling that when compared to other thinner handles from the period.

The problem with Gillette, and the Tech in particular, is that there was no "normal", there are more "different" ones than "exactly the same" ones.

It's absolutely the same for 1912s. I have maybe 30 or so out on display and can point to a difference with each and every one.

I have probably more than 20 flat bottom Techs and News out on display and the simple rule of stamp up top for the Tech and down low for the New bears out. Having scoured Mr Razor, I'm not seeing this detail on any of his. It's surely more an anomaly rather than just not normal. Like those Damaskeene razors that are stamped 1902 rather than 1912.

if you look on the base plate of a 7 o clock the stamping is in the same place with " 7 oclock " where the gillette diamond is on your example ," made in england " is the same font & location on your gillette & my 7 o/c . also the handle is exactly the same as my 7 o/c ... perhaps your gillette is an example of gillette just removing the 7 o/c trade mark & replacing with the gillette diamond after buying out 7 o clock & carrying on production or using up produced parts . purely guesswork on my part but if the tooling & production parts are allready there, gillette now owns the company , its possible . i belive this happened in the 1930,s if i remember rightly

Forgive me if we're not talking about the same model, but the 7 O'Clock razors were New models. Other brand names included Minora and Grøm. From what I can see, all New models with a flat bottom have their stamp on the lower part of the flat bottom base. On the Tech model, the stamp is on the top part. Here, I'm showing a Tech with the stamp in the place where the New is usually stamped ...

But I see where you're going with this and yes, I'm inclined to think it may well have been when the lines were changed over from stamping New plates to stamping Tech plates. Maybe they ran a few hundred through before someone on the line noticed and had the machine reconfigured. I think that, rather than quality control since these examples obviously got out.

Unless scores of folks come forward with their flat bottom Techs showing this orientation.

That said, wouldn't the dye as it were simply be a New dye and a Tech dye, so the shape of the baseplate and the stamp upon it would all be part of the same action. It does make some sense to have a dye made up of components - the two edges and the middle, given the edges would need to be the same across the world but the middles would be with country designation. In that case it is certainly feasible that whoever setup the dye that day might have got the wrong middle bit.

... or maybe it didn't matter.

Last edited:
yes you are correct my 7 o/c is a "new" i was simply trying to point out the similarities between both the stamping & the handle , my fault i realised that after i had posted the comment .. was in the midist of amending the post when i saw your reply ,, got carried away thinking i dicovered something i guess .. appologies :censored:

Back
Top Bottom