Copper lathering bowls

Blademonkey

Supporter
Supporter
Do copper lathering bowls offer any advantage over bowls made of other materials apart from looking really good?
A lot of the Turkish lathering bowls seem to be made from copper and I was just wondering why!
I've ordered a copper lathering bowl only because I have a copper razor and a copper handled brush and I'm a tart when it comes to things like this!
Being a Cornishman Copper is very close to my heart with all of the copper mining that used to go on in Cornwall. :) Paul.

Do copper lathering bowls offer any advantage over bowls made of other materials apart from looking really good?
A lot of the Turkish lathering bowls seem to be made from copper and I was just wondering why!
I've ordered a copper lathering bowl only because I have a copper razor and a copper handled brush and I'm a tart when it comes to things like this!
Being a Cornishman Copper is very close to my heart with all of the copper mining that used to go on in Cornwall. :) Paul.

Hi Paul, I've read that they warm up fast and retain the heat; so you can fill them with hot water whilst you get washed etc, then go ahead and whip up a warm lather in the prewarmed bowl. Got no idea whether that's accurate or just marketing hype.
But, as you know, here on TSR, we do so love a guy who'll take one for the team. So, yet again, you can be our hero !

JohnnyO. o/.

I don't think they offer any clear advantage over those ceramic or pottery bowls with some ridges or texture on their inner surface. Many of them do look good, though, and some might find them easier to handle than the often thicker and heavier pottery types. Just my view, admittedly as somebody who has been face lathering for the last few years.

Hi Paul, I've read that they warm up fast and retain the heat; so you can fill them with hot water whilst you get washed etc, then go ahead and whip up a warm lather in the prewarmed bowl. Got no idea whether that's accurate or just marketing hype.
But, as you know, here on TSR, we do so love a guy who'll take one for the team. So, yet again, you can be our hero !

JohnnyO. o/.
I'm always happy and ready to take one for the team! :)
I will let you know if I can find any perceived advantages. P.

I don't think they offer any clear advantage over those ceramic or pottery bowls with some ridges or texture on their inner surface. Many of them do look good, though, and some might find them easier to handle than the often thicker and heavier pottery types. Just my view, admittedly as somebody who has been face lathering for the last few years.
Looking good is good enough for me if that is the only advantage :) but I hope to find there is more to it than aesthetics alone :) P.

JohnnyO. o/.
Copper will warm up faster than ceramic and even slightly faster than stainless steel. The other side of that coin is they cool down faster as well.

Back
Top Bottom