Consider the hat

I have been wanting to buy a hat for quite some time now as my dearly beloved will tell you. The trouble is, I have absolutely ZERO clue as to which hat to buy.

I suggested before our honeymoon in 2012 that I should buy 2 hats for Egypt, a pith helmet and a Fez (the Fez works on two levels, I am a Saracens supporter, and as such, a Fez boy). I was told in no uncertain terms that the marriage would not happen if I bought either :D

I feel like I'd like a Gambler, but am not sure, as there are no places that I am aware of that I could go and try various hats to see what suits.

Do any of the fine TSR members don a hat on a regular basis?

I would love to be a hat kind of guy but I have the same trouble ( O.H with a sense of style ). Over the years I've tried loads but as soon as I look at SWMBO she falls about laughing - apparently my heads the wrong shape [emoji63] for a hat.

Can't help with anything even reasonably presentable looking. I wear a wool Beanie in winter and a Tarp hat in summer. The Tarp hat looks like shit but they come that way from new...http://www.tarphat.co.uk/catalogue.aspx

I've even started wearing a baseball cap at times. I hate the damn things, always have, but they're easy to shove in a pocket when riding the bike. The Tarp hat's just too bike for that. Wearing a hat to me is like wearing reading glasses. I'd rather not but needs must.

I have a Fedora, a Trilby and an Outback hat.

My Fedora is beige, so I wear that in the summer on smart and casual occasions.
The Trilby gets worn in similar circumstances but generally in the winter months.
The Outback hat gets worn when out walking the dogs as it's leather and waterproof.

The Outback hat is actually my favourite, I had it made to measure while out in Oz about 10 years ago and its weathering in nicely now.

I've got a few hats, but would like to get a decent fedora. We used to have a milliners in Nottingham, but they're long gone. I do see quite a few hats for sale in shops & at festivals, but the trouble that I have is that I seem to have a tiny head at 56cm. Ordering online is mostly out as sizes can vary, though I did order a nice gaucho hat from Argentina a few years ago.

Try a few shops that sell men's clothes and you should find a few hats, at least. I think Markies tend to have a reasonable selection. Maybe Next?

Right, I'm away to have another go at finding a suitable fedora.

Christy's: Felt Fedora & Nubuck Fedora
Tilley Outback
Barbour: Flat cap, Baseball type and Stanhope Trapper
Stormy Kromer Original
Wool GI issue Jeep Cap
Old and battered Panama

There are very few days in the year I don't wear a hat of some sort. The most disappointing is the Tilley which is great in fit and style BUT is made out of Fashion "Wax Cotton" that you can wash. Which means it looks like plain cotton and is as weather proof as plain cotton...BAH!

Tilley Winter hat...Had it nigh on twenty years and still as good as when I first bought it..not cheap, but very cosy when its bitterly cold.
A couple of Failsworth, wool, tweed shooting flats.
Barbour waxy wide brim for doggy walking when its hissing down...Not that the dog likes getting wet, he's straight back home with tail and ears down if he gets rained on....

Last edited:
Help for Heroes Baseball cap lives in the car for unexpected downpours. Waterproof rain hat which is a kinda ' stingy brim' style and of course my maroon, chequered band beret for when I don my kilt. I believe tye Village Hat Co had a wide range of Fedoras & Trilbies for online ordering.

JohnnyO. o/

Oops, forgot my Breton cap, probably because I wear it so much it's just part of my old bald head.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom