Confused Newbie

Greetings all, i am a newbie to the forum although i have lurked for a while.
Changed to an Edwin jagger DE89L from a Cartridge razor for the last three days and now have the worst shaving rash in my whole 52 years.
I am a little confused by it and would appreciate any advise.

My regime for the last few months has been

Pre shave Trumpers skin food
Crabtree and Evelyn soap applied with a Badger Brush
Cold water and Alum Block followed by Nivea sensitive balm.

The only thing thats changed is an Edwin Jagger with Derby blades instead of a Gillette fuston .

Welcome along firstly!

Switching to DE means relearning just about everything you think you know :) You have to let the weight of the razor do it's thing....no pressure! Then, you have to make sure you don't use any pressure. Ensure you know your beard, and pay attention to odd growth patterns (known as beard mapping) and try to go with the grain only for a while until you get the hang of using no pressure :)

There's a bit of a theme there, no pressure, you can do it :) Keep all other variables the same then consider trying some other blades as well, Derby can be in comparison to many blades, quite underwhelming. By keeping as much of your shave the same, you will eventually figure out what works and what doesn't for you.

Welcome along firstly!

Switching to DE means relearning just about everything you think you know :) You have to let the weight of the razor do it's thing....no pressure! Then, you have to make sure you don't use any pressure. Ensure you know your beard, and pay attention to odd growth patterns (known as beard mapping) and try to go with the grain only for a while until you get the hang of using no pressure :)

There's a bit of a theme there, no pressure, you can do it :) Keep all other variables the same then consider trying some other blades as well, Derby can be in comparison to many blades, quite underwhelming. By keeping as much of your shave the same, you will eventually figure out what works and what doesn't for you.

Thanks for the advise Nick, this game isnt as easy as i thought ,hopefully this old dog can learn new tricks :)

Hi,
A welcome to TSR from the Highlands of Scotland.

When I started DE shaving I was using a EJ DE86. It took me about 4 weeks to get the technique right. Using lots of styptic pencils and post shave balm. The learning curve was well worth it. Shaving was a nasty chore. Now it's a great way to start the day. Keep going and you'll get the hang of it. :)

All the best,

Andy.

Hi Buster, hope you neck isnt as sore as mine :oops:

Its not bad at all im only going to shave every other day and only did 2 passes parts off my neck were a little sore but nothing major ive also stopped myself from trying to shave every last little bit around my neck as well can remember when I first tried de shaving when I was 18 came out off the bathroom and looked like freddy Kruger did not want a repeat off this :)

Technique.

Cartridge is not the same as DE and blades make a huge difference.

Try a 3 pass shave and use a forgiving blade like a Personna. Pm me if you can't find them, I'll send you a couple. :)

Watch some paulhfilms on YouTube. He is excellent.

There is a learning curve with DE but once you get it, it can be amazing. (It could also be that ymmv and that for you, cart>> DE)

Welcome @Battersea Boy , you have been given some great advice and if you follow what's been suggested you will have this shaving lark nailed down before you know it.
Don't expect over night success and you won't be disappointed, relax and enjoy. :) P.

Welcome to TSR @Battersea Boy .:)...You will get there in the end, As already said, Add no pressure to the razor, learn your technique, don't expect too much too soon and you'll be rewarded with some excellent shaves..."Ive trained my mind to shave the lather from my face, rather than the stubble.".Give it a try it'll teach you to add no pressure to the razor, and give you much less irritation...Enjoy your new shaving experience. B.;)

Back
Top Bottom